Service rear axle? 2021 AT4 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To also add to this thread--noticing a lot of Yukon owners posting about this issue. Mine is a 22 Tahoe Z71 with Air Suspension

I am having an issue with my rear axle.
TLDR: Tahoe not riding right; service rear axle indicator on. Vehicle is with dealer now who is confirming what I'm describing.

I've noticed over the last week or so that my 22 Tahoe Z71 was just going over bumps differently and I could feel it handling just the same. The steering wheel has been behaving as if lane assist is activated and trying to center me in the lane while it's disabled. At first, I just took it as it was windy, as our weather has been pretty windy and such lately--it's a big box afterall and not uncommon to be tossed around in the lane with the wind. It was something I had noticed but it didn't really occur to me that there might have been an issue...

UNTIL, I was driving to work and came through an intersection near my house that has a slight incline--not enough to get air or even for the vehicle to be negatively impacted by taking the intersection at a higher rate than the posted speed limit. I came through that intersection and I could feel my rear end bounce far more than it should and it was enough that I could actually hear it hit and bounce as well--not anything clinking but just hearing the vehicle hit the bump that wasn't as it normally is assuming normal operation of the vehicle. And that same drive to work, I noticed my vehicle being a little more "swaying" while driving. I told myself that something wasn't right. I got to work, didn't do anything to the vehicle or about the drive and went to lunch.

When I went to lunch a few hours later, I was backing out of a parking space and a Service Rear Axle box popped up on the driver info display. I drove back to work feeling the ride being a little more bumpy than normal and fully aware that I now have an issue. I had the Tahoe towed back to the Chevrolet dealership and it's been there ever since. This was on Thursday.

At first, they weren't able to feel what I was feeling. They pulled and found about 5 pages of codes (not sure what codes they've found). Because of the codes, they acknowledged that something was happening. I recommended someone drive it who is used to driving a Tahoe/Suburban daily enough to notice how they're supposed to drive in comparison to just a quick drive up and down the street. I gave the tech permission to take the vehicle home so they could drive it longer than up the street and around the dealership. I checked in with them this morning and they said they were able to feel what I was describing and that my remote start wasn't working this morning either, which is also an indication.

I've had zero issues with this truck since taking delivery in February--other than a buggy infotainment system here and there with CarPlay not connecting to my phone. I haven't had any sort of road hazards or hit anything.

I've been reading that Yukons have had issues with the rear axle and just updating/replace the rear control module. But I haven't been able to find really anything that stated the driver was noticing a difference in how the Yukon was handling, just that the indicator light was on.

Anyone else have any issues?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n