Service rear axle? 2021 AT4 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2021 AT4 Yukon, 3k miles, two months old, a couple days ago the message "Service Rear Axle" came on at start up. You can dismiss it and it won't come back on until you start it again. Dealership doesn't know and honestly wasn't sure what the message meant, especially since it no longer has a SRA.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
T

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They still have it, so not sure...just didn't seem too optimistic. I questioned what the message meant (not even asking what's causing it) and they didn't have an answer for that either.

I know it says to service it but that is pretty vague.

Runs and drives fine otherwise

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some AT4 are assembled with a G96 electronic limited slip rear axle. Based on the DIC message, I’m guessing that this is what you have.

Suggest you read this to become acquainted.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11291

FWIW I personally prefer the G96 eLSD compared to the G86 mechanical LSD.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They still have it, so not sure...just didn't seem too optimistic. I questioned what the message meant (not even asking what's causing it) and they didn't have an answer for that either.

Todd, if you're a "car guy" and intend to keep this truck a while might I suggest that you purchase the diagnostic tools that the dealership uses and the shop manual (paper or subscription to AllDataDIY)? This way there's no question as to what is wrong and how to fix it, even if you're still going to have it repaired under warranty.

eyebereej

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Did the dealership ever figure this one out? This just happened to me yesterday at around 200mi of a 400mi trip down to Souther California. Everything seemed fine, made it down to SoCal but worried about the trip back up. I’ve got about 24k miles on my 2021 Yukon Denali.

eyebereej

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Reviving this dead thread. Just recently got the “Service Rear Axle” message again. Brought it to my local GMC service dept. and they found nothing wrong even after scanning for error codes. Got the shoulder shrug and they said they were not sure why that message showed up since these new Yukons/Tahoes have independent rear suspensions. Anyone else get this message figured out?

OP
OP
T

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving this dead thread. Just recently got the “Service Rear Axle” message again. Brought it to my local GMC service dept. and they found nothing wrong even after scanning for error codes. Got the shoulder shrug and they said they were not sure why that message showed up since these new Yukons/Tahoes have independent rear suspensions. Anyone else get this message figured out?

Dealer replaced a "rear end control module" on ours and that fixed the issue -

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some AT4 are assembled with a G96 electronic limited slip rear axle. Based on the DIC message, I’m guessing that this is what you have.

Suggest you read this to become acquainted.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11291

FWIW I personally prefer the G96 eLSD compared to the G86 mechanical LSD.
I wish that I could get a Yukon Denali with the G96 with MRC-only (no air suspension).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n