Service front differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering, can a person flush this? Say drain the fluid then put kerosene or something in and go around the block, then drain that out and put actually gear oil in?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just trying to be thorough. Truck has 230k miles. Not sure of it's maintenance history. I just bought it. It works but makes a fair amount of racket up there. Trying to service and replace things to isolate the issue. Just replace a wheel bearing / hub assembly. That did away with a lot of the noise. However, still have some from either the CV(s) or front diff.

I've not changed gear oil before but when researching I see people spraying brake cleaner on rear end when they pull the service cover. However, I'm not sure I could get enough brake cleaner through the service plug on the front diff or even come close. Was thinking of simply using kerosene and turning the wheels manually or driving around the block then dumping it.

As I drain the fluids looking to see what if anything comes out with them... If they're pretty nasty I may rebuild the diff.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not running any kind of solvent or cleaners through any gears or bearings, I don't give a damn who advises. If it needs a good flush then fill it up with a couple quarts of cheap 80-wt, put some laps on it then drain & refill again. Repeat 'til your heart's content.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea... dumb question, does that front diff spin if the 4wd is not engauged?
I'm not running any kind of solvent or cleaners through any gears or bearings, I don't give a damn who advises. If it needs a good flush then fill it up with a couple quarts of cheap 80-wt, put some laps on it then drain & refill again. Repeat 'til your heart's content.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i isolated my meshing gear whinding noise. I believe i have issue in my transfer case. There is play in the output shaft to the front diff. However i need to change fluid in the diff as i bought used with no idea of maintenance history.

I think i will check level then put in atp 201 reseal. It is awesome... run it for a week. Then drain it... flush it with cheap fluid and possinly a little tranny fluid. Run it a few more miles then drain it and put in gd fluid.
Yeah, go with Joe's advice. Not likely to open a can of worms that way. If it works it works, if not you're in for an overhaul.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you plan on getting all that kerosene back out if you were to do it that way? Flush with cheap gear oil as mentioned.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked closer. I think somebody reubuilt the front diff already. I also checked the fluid and looks new. The transfer case seems like it maybe the issue. Outputshafts have some play, especially the one to front. And fluid is dirty :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518