Service 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbleezy

loves to snowboard
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe LTZ and when switching from 2WD to Auto, I the light blinks longer than usual but eventually stays lit on Auto. I can also switch it to 4WD High and it stays lit there. However, the Service 4WD message appears on the DIC. Since the light stays solid on Auto and High, does this mean my 4WD is still working?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe LTZ and when switching from 2WD to Auto, I the light blinks longer than usual but eventually stays lit on Auto. I can also switch it to 4WD High and it stays lit there. However, the Service 4WD message appears on the DIC. Since the light stays solid on Auto and High, does this mean my 4WD is still working?
If you are getting the Service 4WD message, get it checked out. Have checked to see what codes are present? Might get under it and make sure you at least have oil in your transfer case.

OP
OP
gbleezy

gbleezy

loves to snowboard
Reaction score
If you are getting the Service 4WD message, get it checked out. Have checked to see what codes are present? Might get under it and make sure you at least have oil in your transfer case.

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to get it checked out, was just curious so figured I'd ask on the forums.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm planning to get it checked out, was just curious so figured I'd ask on the forums.
No matter what, make sure you have fluid in the transfer case. My 2004 gave me the same symptoms and I before I could get to a place that I could check anything, it turned into a box of gravel because the case developed a leak and the fluid had drained out without me noticing.

OP
OP
gbleezy

gbleezy

loves to snowboard
Reaction score
No matter what, make sure you have fluid in the transfer case. My 2004 gave me the same symptoms and I before I could get to a place that I could check anything, it turned into a box of gravel because the case developed a leak and the fluid had drained out without me noticing.

What's the easiest way to confirm there's fluid in there?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the easiest way to confirm there's fluid in there?
Jack it up, crawl under it, remove the fill plug and stick you finger in the hole. Fluid level should be just below the fill inlet. If it is not, put some fluid in.
I believe your transfer case takes DEXRON -VI ATF fluid, but double check your manual.

upload_2019-12-19_15-3-48.png

Kenneth L Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not working. If you are mechanically inclined we can give you some more tips, otherwise time to take it in...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SAUDADES333