Serpentine belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to replace my Serpentine belt on my 04 Denali 6.0. I've tried 2 belts and they both are really close but just a bit too tight to get on. Any Idea how I can find the correct belt length?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of ours do, yes. The Sierra Denali did, for sure. I'm out of state, or I'd share a picture.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What part number belt are you using? Old belt number, if you can read it?

Any chance the alternator has been changed? Is the AH rating stamped on the alternator?

OP
OP
S

Sdp1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried 3 belts After 2 that I couldn’t get on I looked for a belt that was slightly longer. The 6k930 has an effective length 93.02 inches The belts they gave me at the store were just a bit shorter 92.5 or so

Continental Belt 4060930 did not fit.​

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can't tell if you found one to fit or not.

For the 145A alternator the Gates HD belt is a bit longer than the others, at least it has a longer outer circumference, as does the Gates non-HD belt. Not sure if that would give you just enough...

1648946766730.png

EDIT: also wondering about the condition of the tensioner.

Last edited:

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had belt size problems for a different vehicle... twice. Both at Advance Auto Parts. First time was human selection error. Fine. Who never makes mistakes?

The second time I tried going Advance, was the parts inventory system having the wrong belt assigned to my vehicle. It was a pain, having picked up the new belt, removing the old belt, finding the new belt doesn't fit, putting the old belt back on to run back the store, get a second new belt and finally being able to put that on. Instead of the guy trying to find the correct part, he stood there staring at the computer saying: "That's the part the system has..." After the lack of effort that last time, I gave up on them unless it is a last resort.

I go to NAPA in person or order Rock Auto, if I don't need it right away.

Whenever I buy belts or hoses, I keep a photo of the part number or tear off part of the package and stuff it in a drawer, so I can take it with me and confirm I am asking for and getting the correct belt or hose.

P.S.: Never had a bad experience with a Gates belt or hose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buzarr