Selling my 18" BTL..What to get next? Smaller set-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i decided today it was time to sell my sub and amp. Ive had the same equipment in 2 vehicles for the last 4 years..

Im getting plenty of money for it to fund a new set up..

Main reason for selling it is the weight..the sub, amp, and box weights about 250 lbs min..and it takes up over half of my cargo area..just getting to that point where i like something more practical(well see how long that lasts)
Id like to be able to fold down my seats if I had something long to put in the truck..

Some shit im looking at so far is-

Sundown SA12s with a SAX1200...i can get this set up for just over $700 new..just worried i wont be happy with it, and might want to go with 15s?

also looking at the DD subs..maybe the 3500 series? but i think those are out of my price range right now..

im looking to spend about $800-900 on the set up for subs and amp..

any ideas?

it was nice when it lasted
9316699e.jpg
1e88a174.jpg

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there wont be much difference between sa12's and sa15's if you have the same box specs and amp. just a little more cone area ofcourse with the 15's, might be a little louder. That would be a nice setup, the subs arent too spendy, you could probably get a cheaper amp that still does the same power though

whitehoe01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sundown amps are a lil high imo...

why not go for some 12s that will handle your 2500.1?
i heard sa's they're cool with out needing a bunch of power but no where near the impact that 18 btl.

the skar 12s are nice.
look at them

if you do keep the amp toss it on a t3 t2000 12 or 15... box would be 2x-3x smaller, sound awesome and hit just as well as the btl imo

OP
OP
N

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there wont be much difference between sa12's and sa15's if you have the same box specs and amp. just a little more cone area ofcourse with the 15's, might be a little louder. That would be a nice setup, the subs arent too spendy, you could probably get a cheaper amp that still does the same power though

thats what i was thinking..i mean worst case i could always up it some day and run 4 12s with 2 of those amps...you think that would get me close to where i am now with the 1 18? I just have this in my head that nothing i get next will be even close to as loud as that 18..but i mean even if i ran 2 high power 12s, thats 24" of cone area so i could technically be louder with the right set up? just a mental thing i have i guess

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

sundown amps are a lil high imo...

why not go for some 12s that will handle your 2500.1?
i heard sa's they're cool with out needing a bunch of power but no where near the impact that 18 btl.

the skar 12s are nice.
look at them

if you do keep the amp toss it on a t3 t2000 12 or 15... box would be 2x-3x smaller, sound awesome and hit just as well as the btl imo

the amp is going with the sub...i probably should keep it since its a badass amp, but i just dont need it..i am trying to go smaller with it weather i like it or not lol..it kind of limits me since its only 2 ohm stable

NoPh33rRaCiNg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i was thinking..i mean worst case i could always up it some day and run 4 12s with 2 of those amps...you think that would get me close to where i am now with the 1 18? I just have this in my head that nothing i get next will be even close to as loud as that 18..but i mean even if i ran 2 high power 12s, thats 24" of cone area so i could technically be louder with the right set up? just a mental thing i have i guess

It's all in the install. Yes 2 12's in a perfect world will be louder than that 18. I don't have any experience with those SA's but everyone seems to like em. It's hard to say how it will compare that off 1200 watts to the 2000 whatever you had running to the BTL and whatever tuning you use on the SA's compared to the BTL.

ThwopKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your box is about the same size as my box holding two Elemental Designs 15's..of course my box is sealed though. I bet ported that box bangs pretty good. With i had the cash to buy it...and you were closer lol.

whitehoe01

Full Access Member
Reaction score

not exactly... 2 12's cone area is 226.19, 1 18 cone area is 254.47... but in a perfect world yea 2 12's should equal a single 18 but it all comes down to power, box size, tuning etc.
SA's are decent. sundown makes good products but perhaps look at the AudioQue sdc2, skar 12's, DC lvl3's, T3 t1000.. those are the 12 i can think of off the top of my head that go head to head with SA's

as for the amp too...i like sundown but the price of their 1200d vs the audioque 1200d.. id save money and get the audioque

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

the amp is going with the sub...i probably should keep it since its a badass amp, but i just dont need it..i am trying to go smaller with it weather i like it or not lol..it kind of limits me since its only 2 ohm stable[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
N

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not exactly... 2 12's cone area is 226.19, 1 18 cone area is 254.47... but in a perfect world yea 2 12's should equal a single 18 but it all comes down to power, box size, tuning etc.
SA's are decent. sundown makes good products but perhaps look at the AudioQue sdc2, skar 12's, DC lvl3's, T3 t1000.. those are the 12 i can think of off the top of my head that go head to head with SA's

as for the amp too...i like sundown but the price of their 1200d vs the audioque 1200d.. id save money and get the audioque

[/COLOR]

the amp is going with the sub...i probably should keep it since its a badass amp, but i just dont need it..i am trying to go smaller with it weather i like it or not lol..it kind of limits me since its only 2 ohm stable
[/QUOTE]

thanks..most likely im going to be running less power on this set up..i dont have the cash to drop 1200 on a new system..and i dont really want to..like i said i want to downsize it a little bit..its just hard to get away from a big power set up lol

shit i could even go with the 2200d for 380 bucks..that would give my 2200 watts at 1 ohm..the audioque hd312s take about 1k rms, so i could run 2 of those..would be a bit over my price range, but that seems like a decent set up? it would be 967 shipped from the audioque website..im just thinking this would give me more of a punch then the sundown subs?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
think i decided to just go with 2 sundown sa12s, and a audioque 1200d amp for now. I can get this for $660 to my door. this will save me 300 over the other set up, which i can put toward my new lowering kit...i can always upgrade later to 2 more 12s and another amp..they were hitting 152 dbs with 4 of these subs and 2 of the 1200 amps..i could live with that if i get bored of it