Next Step for Rough Ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliRider4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2018 GMC Yukon Denali 2wd

No Codes or service suspension system message

After towing a boat one time the yukon has been riding rough. Replaced the front struts and rear air ride shocks thinking this was the problem since it has 110k miles i know they dont last forever. Still riding rough. Tested my compressor by putting weight in the back on the yukon and it pumped it like it was suppose to. Took the weight out and it did relieve the pressure and dropped back down to normal ride height slowly. *Side note* the compressor does not cut on every time during start up. but the bags are firm so im guessing its not needed to cut on unless called upon to. What should be my next step? Get a tech 2 type scan tool and look at the live data for suspension parts? Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

A Tech 2 won't help you with your model year, so you will have to go with a newer scanner. With the correct bi-directional scanner (@Doubeleive, can you suggest a correct scanner for the OP?). With the correct bi-directional scanner, you could view each shock in real time to see if one or more of them are receiving 'stiffer' signals, when they should not be. If this were the case, then you may need a new electronic controller for your suspension.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2018 GMC Yukon Denali 2wd

No Codes or service suspension system message

After towing a boat one time the yukon has been riding rough. Replaced the front struts and rear air ride shocks thinking this was the problem since it has 110k miles i know they dont last forever. Still riding rough. Tested my compressor by putting weight in the back on the yukon and it pumped it like it was suppose to. Took the weight out and it did relieve the pressure and dropped back down to normal ride height slowly. *Side note* the compressor does not cut on every time during start up. but the bags are firm so im guessing its not needed to cut on unless called upon to. What should be my next step? Get a tech 2 type scan tool and look at the live data for suspension parts? Thanks guys!
unless you are getting a error message in the cluster then it may not be electronic
when you replaced the shocks was that with oem or compatible shocks
by that i mean are they passive or active?
if you want to look at the data stream you will likely need a scanner in +$300 range, more like $500 such as a middle grade autel. there are many models of autels out there, just going to have to pick one.
there are cheaper options but unless you have some technical pc skills and a spare laptop, it may not be the best option

OP
OP
D

DenaliRider4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
unless you are getting a error message in the cluster then it may not be electronic
when you replaced the shocks was that with oem or compatible shocks
by that i mean are they passive or active?
if you want to look at the data stream you will likely need a scanner in +$300 range, more like $500 such as a middle grade autel. there are many models of autels out there, just going to have to pick one.
there are cheaper options but unless you have some technical pc skills and a spare laptop, it may not be the best option
I replaced the struts with TRQ SCA33131 and the rear shocks with TRQ SBA42898. Might be my problem since I didn’t use actual OEM parts? If so lesson learned for sure but was thinking these should work.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud, but don't you have to do a relearn for the suspension module. I have an 09 (I know this is the K2 platform we are talking about here) but when I replaced my Z55 components, I had to do a relearn as well as replace a resistor under the hood

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the struts with TRQ SCA33131 and the rear shocks with TRQ SBA42898. Might be my problem since I didn’t use actual OEM parts? If so lesson learned for sure but was thinking these should work.
Trq makes garbage replacement parts

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
should but... there is a reason why they are half the price.
you might want to see that data feed to verify they are working as designed.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud, but don't you have to do a relearn for the suspension module. I have an 09 (I know this is the K2 platform we are talking about here) but when I replaced my Z55 components, I had to do a relearn as well as replace a resistor under the hood
you are supposed to do a relearn so it knows where "0" is basically, but I never noticed any difference and I am pretty sensitive to how my vehicle handles, I noticed a difference with just a slow leak and a few minutes of driving.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a recommendation of n which model autel you like?
for the Autel I do not, I am sure a couple members may chime in with one they have used or have considered purchasing.
I do have this Launch saved in my Amazon list, it seems to have a lot of features not sure if it would read suspension data or not, might take a little research, the price is reasonable to me for what it features. I have not bought it because I do not have a need for it currently so I couldn't even go out and see if it does read the data

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar