Seat Foam Cushion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0YUKON7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to replace seat foam cushion. Any recommendations where to buy from? I found The Seat Shop, OEM dealer and a couple sellers on Ebay. Just wondering have anyone purchased from the ones mention above. If so as far as price and comfort.

Thanks

r870

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced mine (drivers bottom and back) about a month ago, and ordered the cushions from gmpartsdirect.com - it was about $200 shipped total.

I was a little worried that it wouldn't make a difference, but holy cow the new cushions are soo much more comfortable. Feels like completely new seats. 2011 with about 193K at the time of replacement.

Took maybe 2-3 hours total to replace both. The bottom cushion is very quick and easy to do, but the back is a little more involved and takes a little longer.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy OEM. The aftermarket replacements are crap quality and don't feel the same (same goes for seat covers).

Bill D

Reaction score
Looking to replace seat foam cushion. Any recommendations where to buy from? I found The Seat Shop, OEM dealer and a couple sellers on Ebay. Just wondering have anyone purchased from the ones mention above. If so as far as price and comfort.

Thanks

Buy OEM. The aftermarket replacements are crap quality and don't feel the same (same goes for seat covers).

Respectfully disagree. :beer:
I just did a Drivers seat OEM Leather Cover and foam replacements on my Cadillac and used an Amazon supplied / Non OEM Leather Cover and Ebay supplier foam on the Tahoe.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...er-and-pad-install.109322/page-2#post-1352003

Same great results for both. No difference in Quality. Fit is the same Quality, Stitching the same quality, foam backing the same quality, foam durometer BETTER Quality on the non OEM. If you look into it you find that all the ebay covers and foam are made in USA in Texas border-towns that supply Lear and Faurecia seat makers who build the seats for the OEM.

In actuality, I might have used the OEM on the Tahoe to be on the safe side, but I couldn't get them fast enough, and they were a lot more $. In the end, it would have been a total waste of money. They are NOT Crap Quality.

Here's the evidence of 2 installs I did a week apart.:

Cadillac (OEM Cover and Foam) Different style but its the look and feel of the Leather, fit of the leather and support of the foam that is important.
IMG_2530.jpg

Tahoe (Non OEM - Ebay / Amazon) Different style from Cadillac, same or better leather quality and fit as the passenger side (Factory), Better durometer foam and support than OEM foam)

IMG_2677.jpg
IMG_2679.jpg

Very happy with both! Great use of a couple hundred $ and Couple hours!

Last edited:

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know you can just steam the cushions back to life. I mean either way you have to take apart the seat but with the steaming approach it's like $50 max cost vs. $100+ per cushion if you buy new foam. I'm about to do my whole interior when I get my new leather in two weeks.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know you can just steam the cushions back to life. I mean either way you have to take apart the seat but with the steaming approach it's like $50 max cost vs. $100+ per cushion if you buy new foam. I'm about to do my whole interior when I get my new leather in two weeks.

I agree that sometimes steaming the cushion can give it back some, or all, of its original shape and have done it before. That being said, worn out foam is worn out foam and steaming is not the same as new and although it will give you some extra life, it is not as lasting as new foam. Need to understand the degree to which the foam is worn and weigh the options of steaming the foam and it possibly not bringing it back to shape or lasting as long as you want versus the extra cost of new foam. Every situation is different.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that sometimes steaming the cushion can give it back some, or all, of its original shape and have done it before. That being said, worn out foam is worn out foam and steaming is not the same as new and although it will give you some extra life, it is not as lasting as new foam. Need to understand the degree to which the foam is worn and weigh the options of steaming the foam and it possibly not bringing it back to shape or lasting as long as you want versus the extra cost of new foam. Every situation is different.

Yes if your foam is extremely worn with tears or damage then replacement is the only solution obviously. But for most of us who just have the compressed exit side bolsters, steaming will bring the foam back to new and last just as long as the new foam did originally. Foam is just a synthetic material, it doesn't "die"...even seriously worn out foam can be restored.

My point is simply this - a secondhand commercial steamer on ebay is $30-50. With that you can fix as many worn seats as you want. Buying new foam is $100+ per cushion. So even if you only do the front seats it's $50 vs $400.

Bill D

Reaction score
Polyurethane foam is made by by reacting polyols and diisocyanates, and uses no water that I know of. Holding a steamer to the foam takes the existing foam cells beyond their elastic limit and stretches them out. They have to compress again eventually. However I have never tried it so if it works that a great solution.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd be very surprised if you don't find the driver seat cushion destroyed. The cushions on both of mine were falling apart and the seats didn't even look that bad.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have to compress again eventually. However I have never tried it so if it works that a great solution.

Just to be clear, i'm not claiming that steaming the foam somehow magically makes it unbreakable. All it does is "reset" the foam to new form. It will compress just like it did the first time. around. So in 30/40/50k miles, or however long it took the first time, is approximately the same time it will take after you steam them.

I'd be very surprised if you don't find the driver seat cushion destroyed. The cushions on both of mine were falling apart and the seats didn't even look that bad.

I will report back with what I find. My new leather is scheduled to arrive the week of Sept 9th. So i'll get started ASAP once I have it. I haven't had my own seats apart so all I can say is that they don't look bad, and that i've seen trucks with 30k more miles and their seat cushions were pretty ok, and steamed back to like new form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645