Sanity Check on Timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
00 Limited, had 206K on it. Had it taken apart, the old chain had a lot of slop in it. This new one has pretty much no slop. The other one had like .5-.75'' of slack when it was on. I have a feeling I may need to get my timing checked with this new one ha ha

Anyways, just looking for a sanity check on the timing marks. It took a while to get the new set on. So before I button it up, looking for a little confirmation.
IMG_20201017_150850.jpg

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you much. Time to continue buttoning this up and get it back on the road again. I miss driving the big boat ha ha

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. Before you put the cover on apply a very thin film of grease on the end of the crankshaft to help ease the harmonic balancer reinstall and also put some on the edge of the seal on the cover and again a very thin film on the outer surface of the harmonic balancer as it slides into the seal. Thin film everywhere.

Hopefully you have checked the harmonic balancer vibration damper rubber to make sure it is in good shape and not cracked or twisted or coming apart.

I also always use very fine sand paper to clean the cover gasket surfaces at the cover and at the block. Light rubbing and then clean off with small amount of brake clean on a rag to rub away any grit left over. Make sure the surfaces are dry and I like to use a good quality gasket/seal from AC Delco or Fel-Pro with a very very thin film of sealer on the cover and block for the gasket install.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the added tips. I'll inspect the balancer. I didn't give it a good inspection when I pulled it off. I was planning on using a little bit of lube on both the crank and the harmonic balancer when reinstalling.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can also use a scouring pad of some sort instead of the recommended sand paper.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks good on the old 350's gm used to make the timing gear with a plastic coating over time the coating would wear off and it would jump time

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
looks good on the old 350's gm used to make the timing gear with a plastic coating over time the coating would wear off and it would jump time

Exactly, and when the coating would wear/chip off, the debris would go into the oil pan and clog the oil pump pickup screen. It always required an oil pan drop to clean out and clean out the pickup screen and if was really careful would replace the oil pump and pickup. Piss poor design that was designed to make the timing chain quieter. Even when I replaced them with all metal gears I never heard them on the restart.

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick question for you: Did you have to drop the oil pan to get the timing chain swapped out or just choose to for ease of installation.
Wondering if I have options or not.
Thanks
Tburz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n