Salvage yard trouble/Arm rests

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for the masses. Wondering if I have much of a leg to stand on just move on. I'll try to explain this the best I can.

I had been searching for replacement arm rests for my rear passenger doors because several mount points are broken off. I have pieces that I could try gluing them back together, but I'm missing the pieces for where they actually get screwed to the door. I haven't been very successful in finding replacements that match on ebay or the local salvage yards (I have the grey panels with nearly black arm rests). I ended up finding what I needed online at salvage yard that was over an hours drive from my house. I ended up having to buy the whole panel, but noted I specifically needed the arm rests. I ordered them and since this was during the week I elected to have them shipped to my house instead of taking the day off work and then spending the money in fuel to get them since fuel cost was about the same as shipping. This was about $235 total cost shipped to my house. They were received on Wednesday and I went to install them tonight. I ended up finding out that both arm rests have broken tabs where they hook into the door and the lower mount points for both panels are tore out. My existing panels are in better shape than the ones I bought. Do I try to cannibalize these and make a good set? I thought the salvage yard would have had a bit more care in what they were selling. Do I see if they would make good on this? Or just cut my losses and move on?

Attachments

• 20230721_175658.jpg
    20230721_175658.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230721_175653.jpg
    20230721_175653.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I should add too that when I found them online they were still installed on the vehicle doors so they had to be removed before shipping.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the inconvenience and costs with taking off work, etc. But, when it comes to hard-to-find parts such as this, and especially at a salvage yard, you can't ever trust a parts puller to give a damn. Rarely ever do they realize the real value in something such as this. They're getting paid just to retrieve parts in the 100° heat so they're not gonna surgically remove them. Also, NOBODY cares about your car more than you.

They could've been cracked already, maybe from the previous owner of the vehicle. You'll never know. Regardless, unless it's a more common part, it's always worth going to get it yourself, if possible.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz