Salvage Title/Copart Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 4.3 gets worse fuel mileage than the 4.8 v8. I would never try towing with that v6. If you think you are comfortable with it, go test drive one to see if you are ok with that lack of power. If you are also going to put a lift, bigger tires, or go off road with it, there's more of a reason to avoid the v6 in the pickup. You can always do a swap with a low mileage pullout, but I would keep that in mind if a v6 pickup is your plan.

Considering you sound like you are willing to put up with a lot more cosmetic damage than most, I actually wouldn't go with a copart vehicle. I would bet that you could make an offer on something that most people would pass on locally. You could always act a little more uninterested when making an offer because of that damage, but at least you would know its a running driving vehicle. You then get to talk to the owner, who could ( HOPEFULLY; HONESTLY) tell you the history and current condition.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I figured 4 bolts and a harness
A body shop can fix a door, when hit open..... BUT if the hinge post is not PERFECT it will never be right. Don't forget........ the hinge on the DOOR EDGE itself could also have been bent / repaired.

Even if it gets fixed, it very well could re-warp a year later. Repaired metal is not as strong at hinges, in the long term. So be cautious !! Have a warranty for the work, if you need work done.

Trust me on this...... I went through this with my ( since sold) '88 GMC C2500.

The GM bodyshop has a "tweak trick" to align the door.... It is only a band aid trick.
Which may have been already done, to close the door better, before you met the seller.

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salvage title doesn't necessarily mean the vehicle suffered extensive damage. It just means that the vehicle suffered enough damage that the cost of repairing it met or exceeded a percentage of the vehicle's book value. With a GMT800, the book value is low enough that relatively minor damage is enough to "total" it, so you can get a structurally sound truck for cheap.

It seems you clearly know what to look for, so I'd say go for it.
my old car was worth 500 $ (many many problems )but they still sent me a 900$ check on my old car. and i still got to keep it which i sold it for parts for 900

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19

Latest posts