Rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Landonz

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Chevy Tahoe and it seems like there is a rough idle when in park. It has 52k miles on it so I don’t think it needs plugs or wires yet and I’ve already cleaned throttle body and mass air flow sensor. Rpms don’t seem to move much. When in drive and sitting at stop light it only moves from like 600 down to 500 but I think that is due to compresser cycling. I’ve read online and it seems that the LS engines have a slight shudder/vibration/rough idle even when brand new? Does that sound right? Anybody else have this issue?

TIA!!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So, any codes. One day mine was fine and the next day I had a rough idle, more noticeable in gear under load, and a CEL and was a Bank 1 Sensor 1 Oxygen sensor. The plugs and wires were new.

OP
OP
L

Landonz

Reaction score
So, any codes. One day mine was fine and the next day I had a rough idle, more noticeable in gear under load, and a CEL and was a Bank 1 Sensor 1 Oxygen sensor. The plugs and wires were new.

Sorry forgot to mention that, no it hasn’t thrown any codes

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I also forgot to ask, was it idling smooth before and now you notice a rough idle? You said that it seems the LS engines can have a rough idle even when new. If it was smooth and now rough, then that makes no sense as an excuse for what you are experiencing. I would at least pull the plugs and post pics here. You may have a fouled plug for some reason. Get a fuel pressure reading in drive and in park to compare, after engine is warm. I also forgot to ask, problem with cold or warm engine?

22YukonDenali22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine has a bit of vibration at idle and in park, roms always stable at 500-550. 2008 gmc yukon denali, 6.2 L. It's always had it.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Chevy Tahoe and it seems like there is a rough idle when in park. It has 52k miles on it so I don’t think it needs plugs or wires yet and I’ve already cleaned throttle body and mass air flow sensor. Rpms don’t seem to move much. When in drive and sitting at stop light it only moves from like 600 down to 500 but I think that is due to compresser cycling. I’ve read online and it seems that the LS engines have a slight shudder/vibration/rough idle even when brand new? Does that sound right? Anybody else have this issue?

TIA!!
it's normal the compressor might be bad causing it it should idle at 595 to 610 ish

i think they have the idle set higher on the hybrid due to the "HV charging function"

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score

TIA!!

I first detected a fouled plug (by oil) by noticing a very light miss at idle. Given your model year and relatively low mileage, I doubt the cause of any fouling would be the same as mine, but it might be worth pulling the plugs and taking a look. Mine looked like something alien was growing on the plugs.

bboyce2009

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I first detected a fouled plug (by oil) by noticing a very light miss at idle. Given your model year and relatively low mileage, I doubt the cause of any fouling would be the same as mine, but it might be worth pulling the plugs and taking a look. Mine looked like something alien was growing on the plugs.
How do know what a miss would be (specifically on these vehicles?)

I recently changed my plugs and wires, and did an oil change, and something just seems off...I feel like maybe a spark plug is fouled, or maybe it’s something else that’s causing it to rough idle (stopped at a light it bounces around 500). I just don’t really know what a misfire would feel like...

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A light miss would feel like a fishbite, as you're holding the fishing rod. Just a subtle nibble.

Exactly, explains the feeling better than I ever could. Just a slight tug, every so often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu