Rough idle/running/misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
preacherman22

preacherman22

Reaction score
I would really watch that noisy lifter close, Adjust the valves and oil change. Monitor live data with scanner for a few weeks if it quiets down. Here is a cheap one-
I like this my friend. Thank you very much for the link. I'll definitely purchase. Quick question, would you recommend an engine flush or could that make things worse? Thanks man.

OP
OP
preacherman22

preacherman22

Reaction score
Folks like us who drive rigs this old, I think "Immanuel" is the perfect fit for a name lol. God be with you @preacherman22. Look forward to your updates sir.
Thank you brother! Yes! Immanuel is a GREAT and MIGHTY name! I always joke that if Jesus rolled up on you, he'd be in a "Old School" truck, that is super clean and perfect! He's one of us right? Immanuel is white and clean, even the interior is nice with a new Alpine stereo system. Now we just have to "Resurrect" the heartbeat of America 5.7 Vortec and get her right! Lol. Thanks man. God bless you brother.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you brother! Yes! Immanuel is a GREAT and MIGHTY name! I always joke that if Jesus rolled up on you, he'd be in a "Old School" truck, that is super clean and perfect! He's one of us right? Immanuel is white and clean, even the interior is nice with a new Alpine stereo system. Now we just have to "Resurrect" the heartbeat of America 5.7 Vortec and get her right! Lol. Thanks man. God bless you brother.
Well don't go pounding nails in it when you're trying to fix it. That's a sacrifice you definitely don't need lol!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you plan on running a heavy oil, just make sure your temp range won't hinder you. 15w-40 below 32F is like molasses and doesn't like to move very well. If you live in a temperate climate, you might be OK.

Personally I'd probably stick with a 10w-30 oil as a good all around one for that engine. I don't remember when GM switched over to 5w-30 as a base for most engines, but I do remember doing many oil changes in older 5.7L with 10w-30.

I know of a guy who said 15w-40 is good for all engines...........and ruined his newer dodge caravan engine by doing so. Not apples to apples, but you get the picture. I think the older engines are more forgiving of different weight oils than the newer stuff.

repairman54

Reaction score
Just use the recommended oil, synthetic is the only real ''upgrade''. Who knows more, the engineers who get paid to blow them up in testing or the interweb?
Took my old '99 Yuk 5.7 to 220k miles on WM super Tech full synth. oil and sold it running fine. Guy who bought it ran it another 2 yrs. until rust finally won the frame battle. Only reason I sold it as I didn't trust the rear frame to tow anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792