Rough idle/running/misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
preacherman22

preacherman22

Reaction score
If you plan on running a heavy oil, just make sure your temp range won't hinder you. 15w-40 below 32F is like molasses and doesn't like to move very well. If you live in a temperate climate, you might be OK.

Personally I'd probably stick with a 10w-30 oil as a good all around one for that engine. I don't remember when GM switched over to 5w-30 as a base for most engines, but I do remember doing many oil changes in older 5.7L with 10w-30.

I know of a guy who said 15w-40 is good for all engines...........and ruined his newer dodge caravan engine by doing so. Not apples to apples, but you get the picture. I think the older engines are more forgiving of different weight oils than the newer stuff.
10-4. Good information. I'll note that. I live in South Texas. It's always warm here....except the last 2 days..an ice storm. I'll probably initially run some 10w-40 or 30 even. I agree the older engines like the heavier stuff. For oil pressure too. Thanks brother. I appreciate you and the advice. God bless you.

OP
OP
preacherman22

preacherman22

Reaction score
Just use the recommended oil, synthetic is the only real ''upgrade''. Who knows more, the engineers who get paid to blow them up in testing or the interweb?
Took my old '99 Yuk 5.7 to 220k miles on WM super Tech full synth. oil and sold it running fine. Guy who bought it ran it another 2 yrs. until rust finally won the frame battle. Only reason I sold it as I didn't trust the rear frame to tow anymore
Thank you. She's an old horse with 240,000 on it. Highway miles. I was also thinking a "High Mileage" synthetic. I'll do a little research and again, I appreciate all the advice y'all are giving me on here. God bless you brother.

OP
OP
preacherman22

preacherman22

Reaction score
Switching Types of oil is generally not recommended, as in back and forth. Switch should be a long term thing. Diesel Oil is very hi detergent.
So if I go with Diesel Oil, is that a good thing? The detergent aspect? I'm aware once you start using a brand/type of oil it's best to stick with it. I like Valvoline Max Life for older engines. But y'all know these motors better than I, so I'll go with what y'all think is best. I trust you guys. Great feedback. Thank you much. God bless you brother.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
10-4. Good information. I'll note that. I live in South Texas. It's always warm here....except the last 2 days..an ice storm. I'll probably initially run some 10w-40 or 30 even. I agree the older engines like the heavier stuff. For oil pressure too. Thanks brother. I appreciate you and the advice. God bless you.
Know about the Texas weather. My girl's daughter lives in Grapevine and has to drive to work about 30 minutes and yesterday was icy as hell and she called in and the shop she works at said they were closed for yesterday, today and tomorrow and not open again till Friday. She is the office manager in an auto body shop and they are swamped now and will be even more after this ice storm going thru there.

OP
OP
preacherman22

preacherman22

Reaction score
Yup! Everything is froze over here. The Oak Moss trees can't handle the weight of the ice, so limbs and trees are down all over my yard and around the area. I'll be doing alot of yard clean up soon. We're basically locked down cause of the roads. They don't have salt trucks or salt here so the only way to get around is have ice skates, and they don't have them either! The roads are finally starting to melt a little.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diesel oil is high in zinc too, which is good for reducing engine wear. Rotella T4 is one I hear recommended often, and it's fairly inexpensive. Me? I have (2) Vortec 5.7s that I run Supertech 10w30 synthetic blend in and change the oil every 5,000 miles. One engine has 130k, the other has 202k miles. Oil pressure is great in both. Most important part of oil in an engine is making sure they always have enough oil in them. KEEP 'ER FULL!

Check your oil regularly!

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes! But back to the 60's and 70's by weekend! Gotta love Texas man. Lol I hope everyone has good coolant in their Yukon, Denalis, Tahoes and Escalades!
Or just keep 'em running and don't shut 'em off. We're already poked at for driving gas guzzlers. Might as well put some truth to that claim lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727

Latest posts