Rough idle/running/misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preacherman22

Reaction score
I have a 99' Escalade with a 5.7 Vortec. The previous owner changed the plugs and wires but it still runs rough like a misfire. It also has a slight lifter tick. It has 240,000 highway miles. It's been sitting 9 months too. So outside of re-checking all the plugs and wires, what else should I do? Thank you for any and all advice. Its much appreciated.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Can I rent a compression checker tool somewhere? I'm new to this. But yes! I'll do that first. Thank you.
You typically can rent them at a parts house. Make sure you have tools to remove and replace plugs and make sure you show us pics of the entire plug so we can check for porcelain cracks and also of the firing tips. Make sure you watch a few you tube videos of doing a dry and wet compression test on your engine and hopefully the same year or close. Keep track of the compression readings and post here.

OP
OP
preacherman22

preacherman22

Reaction score
You typically can rent them at a parts house. Make sure you have tools to remove and replace plugs and make sure you show us pics of the entire plug so we can check for porcelain cracks and also of the firing tips. Make sure you watch a few you tube videos of doing a dry and wet compression test on your engine and hopefully the same year or close. Keep track of the compression readings and post here.
10-4. Thank you. I'll be in touch soon.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy a cheap compression tester at Harbor Freight for around $30-$50. They're a good tool to have in the tool box of a fella who likes to work on his own vehicles IMO.

An oil change and some drive time may just work that noisy lifter back to normal, especially since it's been sitting 9 months. Letting a vehicle sit for great lengths of time can be one of the worse things you can do to it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can buy a cheap compression tester at Harbor Freight for around $30-$50. They're a good tool to have in the tool box of a fella who likes to work on his own vehicles IMO.

An oil change and some drive time may just work that noisy lifter back to normal, especially since it's been sitting 9 months. Letting a vehicle sit for great lengths of time can be one of the worse things you can do to it.
Agreed about sitting that long on a higher mileage engine, can cause the lifters to bleed down and then they may not pump back up like they should.

OP
OP
preacherman22

preacherman22

Reaction score

That's what I was thinking too. I'm going to drain the fuel, check filter(s) and put some premium in it with some Gas Dry. I'll keep posting on this forum as soon as I get "Immanuel" home in a few days. I'm going to Resurrect this truck for sure. Kind of like " Christine", but in a Holy Way instead. Lol. Thanks man.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would really watch that noisy lifter close, Adjust the valves and oil change. Monitor live data with scanner for a few weeks if it quiets down. Here is a cheap one-

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too. I'm going to drain the fuel, check filter(s) and put some premium in it with some Gas Dry. I'll keep posting on this forum as soon as I get "Immanuel" home in a few days. I'm going to Resurrect this truck for sure. Kind of like " Christine", but in a Holy Way instead. Lol. Thanks man.
Folks like us who drive rigs this old, I think "Immanuel" is the perfect fit for a name lol. God be with you @preacherman22. Look forward to your updates sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jcuevas9026