Roof Rack 4x4/offroad basket conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here know about removing the factory roof rack and installing a metal basket? Something like you might see on a FJ Cruiser or similar? I'm wanting to do this and wondering if there is a kit or a go-to conversion method for doing it. I've found ones that attach to the factory rack/cross bars but I'm looking for something that actually replaces the factory rack and bolts in place of the factory holes.

iu

^Something similar to this.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have yet to see an option for how you want it to work.

all attach to factory rack or cross bars

Raptor Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone here know about removing the factory roof rack and installing a metal basket? Something like you might see on a FJ Cruiser or similar? I'm wanting to do this and wondering if there is a kit or a go-to conversion method for doing it. I've found ones that attach to the factory rack/cross bars but I'm looking for something that actually replaces the factory rack and bolts in place of the factory holes.

iu

iu

I removed the stock 2007 Tahoe roof rack and filled the holes with paintable sealant. We then used the Smittybilt Defender Rack Adjustable Mounting Brackets (Jeep) to mount an ARB Alloy Flat Roof Rack. Mounted the brackets with rivet nuts. Painted rack and mounts with Raptor paint. No problems with leaks and rack holds anything.

9A6AA3E3-3FB6-4B49-8481-6F58F7B8D375.jpeg 1EA8BF33-E215-497A-AB1C-3888241DD0BC.jpeg

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell yeah thats what I'm talking about! Cool look too. So it's looking like I'll have to go custom...

Raptor Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hell yeah thats what I'm talking about! Cool look too. So it's looking like I'll have to go custom...

Thanks. I looked at everything out there and custom was the only way to get it exactly the way I wanted it. The trick was to find the rack I liked and the mounts. The ARB was costly, but there are a lot of others out there. Good luck with your project!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2