Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. He didn't say much other than look for fluid in the cavity or it can cause all sorts of problems. I'm still debating on replacing the internal harness along with the pressure switch and anything else in there that could be causing my issue, maybe the tcc solenoid IDK. I'm kinda running out of possibilities. I was thinking about how I could check resistance in the wires in the external harness between the trans and the PCM. I was really expecting Justin @BlackBearPerf to have looked at my data log by now and hopefully tell me if the PCM is commanding the shifts. I know when I looked at that cavity on top of the trans through a mirror it did have something black in a corner but it looked like some crud had fallen in and not trans fluid coming through. It's super hard to see in it though, have to hold the mirror just right and then shine a flashlight at the mirror and bounce light into the cavity.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the main positive wires and was grabbing and pulling on the main positive lead from the alt to the battery. I had installed a megafuse and 1/0 cable in place of the wimpy stock one when I did my Big 3. I noticed one side of that cable where it connects to the megafuse was loose, I could easily twist it back and forth. This might be the issue I was having when I put it into park and was losing power momentarily. The doors unlock right as I do that and that might have caused a momentary surge in power draw and if the alt wasn’t making good contact things might have been momentarily dropping voltage. Regardless, I do know the alt needs to be working good and if it’s hot outside like it has been the fans are running, ac was running and the system is drawing a lot of power. Then hit the door locks and who knows what happens if the alt wire wasn’t making good contact. Im almost tempted to put it all back together and test it, but I’ll leave it for now and continue with troubleshooting. I’ve done all the grounds I can, the only ones left require at least lowering the back the transmission to get to the top of the bellhousing and possibly removing it. If I remember right I have to pull the transfer case to drop the back of the trans and I’m not doing that.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put it all back together and drove it for awhile. Same thing. I’m just going to wait until Blackbear gets back to me after reading my data log. I’m running out of possibilities, might still be the internal harness or something.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BB just got back to me and said the PCM is commanding shifts like it’s supposed to do it looks like it must be the harness. So I’m waiting on Performabuilt to get back to me so I know for sure I’m ordering the right part. I’ll replace the manifold pressure switch too and if there’s anything else like the TCC solenoid I’ll do that while I’m in there. I sent a PM to you @pwtr02ss to borrow that harness tool. Hope it’s not the external harness, I guess I’ll see if the internal one fixes it.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BB just got back to me and said the PCM is commanding shifts like it’s supposed to do it looks like it must be the harness. So I’m waiting on Performabuilt to get back to me so I know for sure I’m ordering the right part. I’ll replace the manifold pressure switch too and if there’s anything else like the TCC solenoid I’ll do that while I’m in there. I sent a PM to you @pwtr02ss to borrow that harness tool. Hope it’s not the external harness, I guess I’ll see if the internal one fixes it.
PM returned. I'll send tracking once I have it

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking I’ll be buying HP Tuners and starting to do my own tuning. I just need to know if I can do some slight mods to my existing tunes instead of starting from stock since I’m not ready for that. That way I can look at data myself and command shifts. Frank @Performabuilt says he’d like me to disable the 3-2 shift solenoid since he says it’s not needed with their builds and can cause limp mode. I have wanted to start doing my own tuning, maybe it’s time. I’m out of patience with Justin and his 2 week wait for an answer. They’re ok for getting your tunes but for any technical help like this not so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17