Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was on a roll so I figured today was the day to remove the new ignition cylinder and have the tumblers from the old one swapped in so the old keys worked and I wouldn’t have to keep 2 keys on the ring. After about an hour the locksmith called and said it’s ready. I got home and installed it. I had checked to be sure the key was operating the little part that goes in and out. But...After it was installed it would only turn backwards to acc. , not forward to the start position. And I knew that the only way to remove it was to get it in the start position. I tried about a hundred times. Then I got a small hammer and after a few light snacks it turned. I pulled it and inspected it. Where the keeper for the tumblers was, it looked like they had used a punch and dented it to hold the keeper in. I filed it smooth and it worked. What a damn relief.

D5D8F8FA-7797-4231-9D32-491FA5139D37.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I was on a roll so I figured today was the day to remove the new ignition cylinder and have the tumblers from the old one swapped in so the old keys worked and I wouldn’t have to keep 2 keys on the ring. After about an hour the locksmith called and said it’s ready. I got home and installed it. I had checked to be sure the key was operating the little part that goes in and out. But...After it was installed it would only turn backwards to acc. , not forward to the start position. And I knew that the only way to remove it was to get it in the start position. I tried about a hundred times. Then I got a small hammer and after a few light snacks it turned. I pulled it and inspected it. Where the keeper for the tumblers was, it looked like they had used a punch and dented it to hold the keeper in. I filed it smooth and it worked. What a damn relief.

View attachment 195041
So did the locksmith screw it up?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the locksmith screwed it up when they took that cover off to remove the tumblers. I read that that cover isn't reusable because it gets bent when it gets removed but I guess they didn't have any new ones so they had to improvise. Not very professional and I let them know. They did not try to deny anything and were going to send a guy out but I fixed it myself. That was a new cylinder that the thieves never touched.

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
Damn Red glad u got it figured out. I run those same insulators/sleeves only with Taylor wires like @Tonyrodz..only mine are red lol.. My headers are coated, but I need to pull the plug wires and check them. Stock plug wires don't fit right with headers. I bet your fuel mileage goes up now the cylinders are firing right again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
You got a build thread for yours?

Shortstock

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Ok Ok dammit. I removed the wiper tonight and found some plugs but haven't found the right combo yet. I just kinda fitted them tonight, no paint. I'm thinking I won't leave these in for long though, I'm going to go ahead and find someone to weld an aluminum backing plate in place. My bodyshop friend quoted me $200 to do the bodywork and paint. I think I'll get it done while we still have nice weather here in the NW so I can ride my bagger to work for a couple days.

View attachment 66413

View attachment 66414

View attachment 66415

View attachment 66416

View attachment 66417
Man where did you find the plugs for the wiper holes?