Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I won't. Since I'm waiting to diagnose it, and it was a nice day, I decided to change the transmission filter since I was supposed to do it after the first 2000 miles according to Performabuilt in order to get all the break-in stuff out and I was a few hundred past that. I hate working on my back in my driveway especially with my shoulder the way it is still. But I decided I wasn't going to pay a shop to do it so I jumped in and 2 1/2 hours later I added fluid, went out for a drive to warm it up and check fluids. Came back, no leaks. Awesome. Topped it off and came inside and was about to post this pic showing there was just a tiny bit of black stuff in the pan around the magnet. Then I thought...is that frickin' magnet still on my work bench, because I don't remember putting it back in the pan. Went out to the garage and there it was. I was pretty upset with myself and was going to worry about it tomorrow but decided to go see how hard it was going to be to get it in the pan. Turned out it wasn't bad; I removed all the side and front bolts, then pried it down just enough to slide the magnet in over the edge and pushed it over and in. I only lost about a quart of fluid so I added that back, bolted it back up and re-torqued. I took it for another test drive and it looks like all is good thankfully. At least that maintenance is over with and I won't have to worry about it for a long time.

View attachment 194534
That would've so been my luck. You lucked out tho, congrats. Gotta do my Express van, fluid is brown and I'm dreading it. It has the 4L80 in it.

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
Well The Beast was snacking on all the cars on the freeway the other day and all of a sudden it started running rough after a hard throttle run. After exiting I was at a light and some Honda POS tried to take me off the line and it got eaten but right after the CEL light came on and when I got home it was P0400, multiple cylinder misfires. I was hoping it was plugs even though I was pretty sure it wasn't and today I changed the plugs and after it warmed up it was running rough again. I'm pretty sure it's the blower leaking at the intake again but I ordered a $100 smoke machine to diagnose it before I pull that thing off again. I don't recommend a Whipple to anybody. They're a ***** to install and keep from leaking. There's a few allen head bolts that are almost impossible to get to and torque right. The way they mount is a terrible design. I hope that's not it but it runs similar to what it did after the first installation, when BlackBear told me they saw a huge intake leak in the data log. I need to figure out how to look at data and see a leak but I'll use the smoke machine and hopefully diagnose it. Justin had told me after the last time I installed it there was still a small leak and I think it got worse. I'm not looking forward to an R&R if that's what's needed.
You should swap to a Magnuson 2650 with dual throttle bodies and make it sound like the gates of hell opened when you press the happy pedal. This Camaro is one bad *****!

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not swapping out blowers. That would be just stupid. It's just a leak. It will be fixed. Unless of course you're buying?

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
I won't. Since I'm waiting to diagnose it, and it was a nice day, I decided to change the transmission filter since I was supposed to do it after the first 2000 miles according to Performabuilt in order to get all the break-in stuff out and I was a few hundred past that. I hate working on my back in my driveway especially with my shoulder the way it is still. But I decided I wasn't going to pay a shop to do it so I jumped in and 2 1/2 hours later I added fluid, went out for a drive to warm it up and check fluids. Came back, no leaks. Awesome. Topped it off and came inside and was about to post this pic showing there was just a tiny bit of black stuff in the pan around the magnet. Then I thought...is that frickin' magnet still on my work bench, because I don't remember putting it back in the pan. Went out to the garage and there it was. I was pretty upset with myself and was going to worry about it tomorrow but decided to go see how hard it was going to be to get it in the pan. Turned out it wasn't bad; I removed all the side and front bolts, then pried it down just enough to slide the magnet in over the edge and pushed it over and in. I only lost about a quart of fluid so I added that back, bolted it back up and re-torqued. I took it for another test drive and it looks like all is good thankfully. At least that maintenance is over with and I won't have to worry about it for a long time.

View attachment 194534
Every time we are in our Durango R/T and a Mustang goes by I tell my dad he isn't supposed to tease animals

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
I'm not swapping out blowers. That would be just stupid. It's just a leak. It will be fixed. Unless of course you're buying?
I have all of $300. Pretty sure I can't even afford a lift for mine yet lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv

Latest posts