Rock Auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to access Rock Auto's web site for the past 2+ days, and I keep receiving the same message.

This site can’t be reached​

www.rockauto.com took too long to respond.

Is it just me?

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just tried with no problems.
Thank you for your quick reply. Much appreciated.

So, knowing that someone else can still connect to Rock Auto with no issue, I disabled my Secure VPN setting in my Norton 360 app (which I had recently enabled as an additional security provision), and Rock Auto immediately connected. I re-enabled Secure VPN, and I could not again connect to Rock Auto. Issue solved!

Hopefully, only the Secure VPN by Norton 360 is the only VPN offering that impacts the connection with Rock Auto, and not all VPN offerings.

@RockAuto

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply. Much appreciated.

So, knowing that someone else can still connect to Rock Auto with no issue, I disabled my Secure VPN setting in my Norton 360 app (which I had recently enabled as an additional security provision), and Rock Auto immediately connected. I re-enabled Secure VPN, and I could not again connect to Rock Auto. Issue solved!

Hopefully, only the Secure VPN by Norton 360 is the only VPN offering that impacts the connection with Rock Auto, and not all VPN offerings.

@RockAuto
You pay your bill Joe? LOL Do you have a VPN going? When mine is on I often lose access to certain sites.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You pay your bill Joe? LOL Do you have a VPN going? When mine is on I often lose access to certain sites.
Yes, I am finding that out regarding VPN, and is completely understandable. I'm seeing longer login times on some sites, including this one, or forcing a 3 step authentication process, like on my bank site.

I may need to consider the cost (increased authentication time and additional steps) versus the benefits (additional security) of this VPN offering. :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am finding that out regarding VPN, and is completely understandable. I'm seeing longer login times on some sites, including this one, or forcing a 3 step authentication process, like on my bank site.

I may need to consider the cost (increased authentication time and additional steps) versus the benefits (additional security) of this VPN offering. :)
It's a pain I know. Looks like TDS updated their computer requirements and I cannot use my old laptop anymore for programming. I think they will only allow pass-thru programming so I can't use my desktop either! On top of that, unlike those screenshots you sent me, I have no option for selecting or seeing a Tech-2, only the MDIs. Fun!

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a pain I know. Looks like TDS updated their computer requirements and I cannot use my old laptop anymore for programming. I think they will only allow pass-thru programming so I can't use my desktop either! On top of that, unlike those screenshots you sent me, I have no option for selecting or seeing a Tech-2, only the MDIs. Fun!
Yes, the Support Tech stated that pass-thru programming appears to be the only option, thus eliminating the remote programming option.

So, after logging into Techline Connect, you see and close the pop-up screen that asks you to select one of 2 MDI options. Then, do you see the tab SPS2 in the upper left of the screen? When you click on it, does it bring you to a new screen? It does for me, sometimes I have to try twice to get to the desired screen where Tech 2 options exist.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Support Tech stated that pass-thru programming appears to be the only option, thus eliminating the remote programming option.

So, after logging into Techline Connect, you see and close the pop-up screen that asks you to select one of 2 MDI options. Then, do you see the tab SPS2 in the upper left of the screen? When you click on it, does it bring you to a new screen? It does for me, sometimes I have to try twice to get to the desired screen where Tech 2 options exist.
Do you have the Tech-2 connected before you get to that screen? If pass-through only works from now on, I'm definitely not dragging my PC out to the car! LOL Not driving it around back and opening the sliding glass doors either! Cables are just a couple feet too short for that too! LOL

Well, even though I have 6 months left on my subscription, it's useless until I buy a new laptop. Was kinda proud of the old HP DV8000 from 2006 still kicking along after all these years! Guess we'll soon put it out to pasture.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 100' USB extension cable (Why I have it, who knows! LOL) that I use to run from my computer in the house to my Tech 2 in my truck in the driveway.

After logging into Techline Connect, this is the first screen that I see.

ScreenHunter_19 Oct. 24 11.14.jpg

I select my truck under the Recent Vehicles column, and then I see this screen, which shows me modern MDI-based tools, but not the Tech 2:

ScreenHunter_20 Oct. 24 11.19.jpg

I click on Cancel, and I see this screen:

ScreenHunter_21 Oct. 24 11.20.jpg
If clicking on Cancel does not product this screen above, then click on the SPS2 tab at the upper left of the screen.

I click on Manually Select Tool, and I see this screen:

ScreenHunter_22 Oct. 24 11.22.jpg

At this point, the Tech 2 needs to be connected to my computer (If I were doing an actual project, I would also have to connect the Tech 2 to the truck at this time). I connect my Tech 2 to my computer, select Tech 2 Legacy Pass-thru and and Reprogram (or Replace and Reprogram, depending on your situation). I click on Next, and I see this screen, where I can see the list of control modules:

ScreenHunter_23 Oct. 24 11.32.jpg

At this point, the Tech 2 would need to be connected to the truck to proceed further, as Techline Connect would need to retrieve information from the truck regarding the installed modules and the current version of the software that is installed on each of these modules, so that can know what the current baseline is.

Hopefully, this is helpful to you, James.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
100' is awful long for a USB cable but if it works, it works. I think that the flat cable that comes with the Tech 2 and has RJ45 ends is wired the same as a standard ethernet cable, so you may be able to use a long one of those for 1) the computer connection to the router - if your wifi doesn't reach - or 2) the cable between the laptop and the Tech 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC