Rhino Lining paint job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
My hoe is shaved and popped, but they did a crappy job on the shave (the paint where the door handles were is starting to crack because they didn't fully weld the patches in), and an even crappier job repainting it (dark blue paint over factory white, easily chipped). To fix both will cost around $5K-$8K to do it right.

I'm a cheap bastard, and this is my man truck, so I'm thinking about sanding it down, and rhino lining (probably actually the cheap stuff found at schucks, shot in my dad's garage paint shop) the whole thing, from the windows down, including the hood and tail gate. i won't do from the bottom of the windows up though, because the paint looks like it is holding ok.

Thoughts? Should I do it? What do I need to know before I start?

Cartwright

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt do it. It will add some extra weight to the truck. It will also a ***** to get it clean.

Effeckt

Resident Cards Fan
Reaction score
I think it would look weird personally. While that stuff holds up to the elements really well I think the textured look that it has would just look funny. That and it seems to fade faster than paint does. My brother has it in the bed of his truck and it has held up well as far as chipping, etc but the color is not what it used to be. My vote is no and to get it repainted. I saw your dad has a garage paint shop, does that mean you have access that could just paint it cheaply? If not, I know someone that just had their truck done at like a Maaco or something for $500 or so and it looks decent. It's not going to win any awards or anything but it got the job done inexpensively.

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it for a few reasons.

1. Will look like complete crap.
2. Will add a bit of weight.
3. Will cost more than paint.

OP
OP
ravingmadman

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Cool. More info, perhaps to clear more stuff up. So my dad has a gun, and a compressor, and all of that, but it is a one-car garage. It isn't a pro shop by any stretch, more for fixing small dings.

I would take it to maaco, but unfortunately, because the paint is cracking around the seams of the door handle patches, repainting isn't going to do much for it. The proper fix is to sand off all the paint, remove the bondo, and then finish the welds. Then repaint everything.

Paint alone is exceptionally expensive. I think he priced it out at somewhere close to $1K to repaint the whole truck, whereas the generic bed liner will be about $200 for the whole job. And if I do bed liner, I won't have to screw with rewelding the door patches.

Does that change anything?

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
IMO, No. You got a nice truck don't kill it w/ that stuff. If it was primarily an offroad vehicle then yes, but even then they usually only spray the rocker panels/up to the door trim. I'd say use the garage, sand that ***** down (which will be a pain but needs to be done), weld up the covers, bondo dings, prime, spray, clear = beautiful truck.

1weasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take it to maaco, but unfortunately, because the paint is cracking around the seams of the door handle patches, repainting isn't going to do much for it. The proper fix is to sand off all the paint, remove the bondo, and then finish the welds. Then repaint everything.

NOOOOOOO! NOT MAACO!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY NOOOOOOO! Think about the body job where your shaved handles are, then picture that on your whole ride. I have NEVER heard of anybody getting decent work from a MAACO. They all got the paint job for the price they paid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts