Resetting aver mi on 22 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
luckylou

luckylou

Reaction score
I do need to go look at that trip again. When I reset it I saw 3 things down there but didn't pay attention to what they are.

I first asked the salesman about resetting the Avg. He didn't know. Then I wrote a letter to Chevy customer service because that is what the manual or maybe it was the web site said to do if I had any questions. Guy called from the Philippines or somewhere. Said I needed to talk to service tech at dealer. Indicated that he or they would be contacting the dealer. Called my service guy to give him a heads up. He got upset that I had written letter to GM? Said I should always call him first. Maybe they get a demerit since I sent letter? Who am I supposed to ask? Alright. So it has been 24 hours since he said he would check another vehicle and get back with me? Apparently you are always supposed to go to the dealer. Waiting. I just want somebody at GM to tell me the manual is wrong. I know it is wrong.

OP
OP
luckylou

luckylou

Reaction score
OK. Here's the deal. I was just told that the manual does not say that the Avg can be changed. Call me crazy but it clearly says it can. Anywho, YOU CANNOT RESET AVG MILEAGE on the "Fuel economy" screen no matter what the manual says, it is lifetime. Not much use to me?
However, it appears you can use the Trips to get an average MPG over a period of time and distance since the last reset which is what I am looking for. I haven't driven it since I reset Trip 1. It is reading 0. Trip 2 has miles driven since reset and MPG which appears to be the average for that distance.
Case closed!!!!!!!!

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Here's the deal. I was just told that the manual does not say that the Avg can be changed. Call me crazy but it clearly says it can. Anywho, YOU CANNOT RESET AVG MILEAGE on the "Fuel economy" screen no matter what the manual says, it is lifetime. Not much use to me?
However, it appears you can use the Trips to get an average MPG over a period of time and distance since the last reset which is what I am looking for. I haven't driven it since I reset Trip 1. It is reading 0. Trip 2 has miles driven since reset and MPG which appears to be the average for that distance.
Case closed!!!!!!!!
It's not the "lifetime" fuel economy average, it's as others have stated "the rolling average fuel economy over the past distance displayed." Basically it's saying "Over the last 50 miles you averaged XX.X mpg, over the last 250 miles you averaged XX.X mpg, etc."

Trip 1 and trip 2 will give you the fuel economy since the last time you reset it. Personally I use trip 1 since last fuel up and trip 2 since last oil change. There's also the "drive summary" page which will show you the miles driven, fuel economy and time since you turned on the ignition.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the "lifetime" fuel economy average, it's as others have stated "the rolling average fuel economy over the past distance displayed." Basically it's saying "Over the last 50 miles you averaged XX.X mpg, over the last 250 miles you averaged XX.X mpg, etc."

Trip 1 and trip 2 will give you the fuel economy since the last time you reset it. Personally I use trip 1 since last fuel up and trip 2 since last oil change. There's also the "drive summary" page which will show you the miles driven, fuel economy and time since you turned on the ignition.
The other confusing part is that if you use the display configuration and update either the left side or right side info to be Fuel Economy, I think it also uses that "rolling average." But it isn't very clear as to what it is displaying.

OP
OP
luckylou

luckylou

Reaction score
The reason I said "Lifetime" is because that is what GM said when they explained that it could not be reset. Probably a brain fart on their part. The problem with the drive summary being of any use to me other than for a long ride is that it resets every time you turn off the ignition.
The thing about the different distances is that they only appear to update if they are active. Say you have 25 active and then you switch to 50 and drive 100 miles. It appears that when you go back to 25 it picks up with the info from when you left it. So it is not giving you info for the last 25 miles that you drove which is why I would like to be able to reset it. But I will just use the trips.
Also, I got the Brembos which is only the front brakes. I looked at the "Brake Pad Life" and there was just a line for the front brakes. The stock brakes have a sensor. The Brembos do not but that brake life is like t's on a bull as far as I am concerned. I am not getting a lot of brake dust from the Brembos as I thought I would. But then I have only had them for 200 miles?
I have just over 400 miles on the Tahoe and I am waiting like a good little boy until 500 but I have recently started to push it a "little bit" and the Chevy cat back is growling. Pretty tame though. I would call it a civilized growl but you can hear it especially with the window open. I am happy with it because it is a High Country but if you want to rattle some windows this is not the cat back for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM