Replacing seat leather need advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hiperfro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im looking into replacing the original leather and vinyl seat covers with reproduction duplicates from the seat shop. I found them online and really dont know much about their quality but they claim heir covers are exact replacements for the originals. They list several options and have my black with graphite inserts. Has anyone done this, changing the leather covers on their seats? Cost is around 230 per cushion for 480 a seat. I only need the drivers replaced or Id nix the idea do to the cost

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just replaced my drivers lower seat cushion and covers. I used SeatShop ventilated cover and OEM new cushion. Everything went together easily; I used a ratchet strap around the seat so I could have some play to hook the cover on. Those guys have a YouTube video showing how its done and they must have fingers of steel! I have a few wrinkles in the right bolster, not sure if the OEM cushion needed more foam there or the new cover was too loose. I actually think it is a cushion problem, the new OEM cushion didn't fully fill out, compared to the passenger side. Unfortunately the trashman already took the old set before I could do a comparison.

OP
OP
H

Hiperfro

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was looking at a older post that someone had replaced all their seat covers and he bought an ebay steamer cheap . Said he steamed his old cushions and they came back to like new shape. Sounded like a good way to go. I may search for a steamer myself before tackling my interior

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truthfully not that hard I did mine in the car yeah some of the things aren't strapped but otherwise. Not that hard just push down to make it snap in the tabs.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In the SeatShop video they show tabs with a reverse hook on them so you can use a screwdriver to hook in there and stretch them to hook them on. The one they sent me didn't have the reverse tabs but I was still able to push them on. In the front, the tab was a bit too tight to fit on the metal lip so when it was lined up so I took a rubber mallet and tapped it down. I was looking at the fit and finish yesterday and the leather and appearance are great. My old cover looked ok aside from the cracking on the side but was worn across the front where you slide in. Overall I am very with the result.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking into replacing the original leather and vinyl seat covers with reproduction duplicates from the seat shop. I found them online and really dont know much about their quality but they claim heir covers are exact replacements for the originals. They list several options and have my black with graphite inserts. Has anyone done this, changing the leather covers on their seats? Cost is around 230 per cushion for 480 a seat. I only need the drivers replaced or Id nix the idea do to the cost

For $230 each you can probably buy new OEM covers that will be way better quality if they're not discontinued. If you're only planning to replace the one seat, that would be the way to go because aftermarket won't look like OEM and therefore won't match the other seats.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at a older post that someone had replaced all their seat covers and he bought an ebay steamer cheap . Said he steamed his old cushions and they came back to like new shape. Sounded like a good way to go. I may search for a steamer myself before tackling my interior
I remember seeing that person say that and I call total BS. There is absolutely no way a steamer can bring back a physically worn seat cushion. I would bet money if you take your seat apart you will find splits and tears in the cushions.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing that person say that and I call total BS. There is absolutely no way a steamer can bring back a physically worn seat cushion. I would bet money if you take your seat apart you will find splits and tears in the cushions.

I dunno if it was me he or you are referring to...but I did exactly that and I can verify it does indeed work. I have pics in my thread to prove it. I did that three years ago and my cushions are still in great shape (meaning about what a three year old cushion would be like). it's not some closely guarded secret - talk to any experienced upholstery professional and they'll tell you the same. You only need to replace your cushions if they are broken or torn. If they are just flat they only need a thorough steaming.

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still got my covers. I’ll let ‘em go for less than the seat shop. They just collecting dust in a box in the garage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec