Replacing factory head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkcarter77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm wanting to install a new head unit in my 09 yukon. I have touch screen with onstar,, rear entertainment, steering wheel control, and bose audio. So all of it.

My question is if I do the swap will I be able to retain the rear entertainment tv or will that disable it? Also will I be able to hook up the xm antenna to the new unit or will that be disabled also?

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes retaining those functions are possible. It depends on how much you want to spend for the interfaces. Check out crutchfield.com. They will show you what head units are compatible with your vehicle. When you choose a head unit the site will offer accessory options that allow you to retain your factory features.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm wanting to install a new head unit in my 09 yukon. I have touch screen with onstar,, rear entertainment, steering wheel control, and bose audio. So all of it.

My question is if I do the swap will I be able to retain the rear entertainment tv or will that disable it? Also will I be able to hook up the xm antenna to the new unit or will that be disabled also?

Do keep use posted. I've been hoping to find one that lasts longer than 2-3 years and has factory support and is in continuous production.

Don't want to change mine other than maybe upgrade to 2012 version but the updated navigation discs were cancelled because of a problem and GM didn't want to spend the money to solve it and give us something more up to date post 2016.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
One of the biggest issues is what occurred during the '90's when aftermarket CD players arrived, and things got so bad they made pull out car stereo systems. A smash and grab of a Tesla style unit and any collateral dash / interior / wiring damage on a decade old truck will not be covered by insurance. You'd need an addendum to your policy specifically to cover your A/V Navi System.

My goal was to stay OEM and upgrade to the 12, 13, 14 HDD (Hard Disc Drive) System that looks similar to the DVD based system for 07-11 Tahoe, Yukon & Burb. It's essentially what GM installed in the Escalade in 12, 13, 14 that's an SD data card system for what they already called SuperNav.

They are showing up for a lot less dough now and considered an OEM head unit by insurance and looked over by poachers are their older siblings DVD based system. They also have an internal hard drive to store music, XM Live weather and traffic. They are GM part # ...

This example is from an eBay seller with knowledge on how to unlock the unit back to NEW so that the first truck it's installed in will learn it's VIN and ONLY that VIN. After that a GM Tech2 device or other is needed to add a new VIN to take it out of "theft lock" status.

HDD GM Navi.PNG

Most of what you need to make this go is already in your truck because you've got Bose and the factory steering wheel controls. It has a USB port for USB‐Supported Devices. USB flash drive. Portable USB hard drive. Fifth generation or later iPod, iPod nano, iPod touch, iPod classic. Not sure which iPhone are compatible though.

The HDD unit will also allow you to purchase an $89 plug n play module that snaps in behind the glove box to enable BT Music or AD2P streaming which GM never offered in conjunction with it's BT phone. It plugs into the stand alone XM radio module.

If you swap your OnStar VCIM to 2010+ you can also use the OnStar cell app to remote start, lock, unlock and beam navi directions into the Navi from your phone.
OS Direction DL.PNG

This youTube clip does not show a lot of it's features.

If you have the 2010+ VCIM and 12, 13, 14 HDD Navi in a 07, 08 or 09 truck you can add the BT Diesel OBD module that adds in all the features listed (below) for the 2012+ trucks plus ones also listed for the 2015+ & 2019 plus+. Stuff like manual activation of back up camera, one touch up/down to front windows and down for the back. Too much to list.

I mentioned the OEM part list because we just had out Escalade broken into last week. They got away with about $600 worth of tune up parts, sunglasses, the extra key and its fob along with my Tech2. It's all gone unless I claim it to my homeowners policy and I know better than to make a claim for that amount to potentially raise my rates.

The comprehensive is covering the damage / replacement on the locks and re-key. However the 2013 SuperNav, BT DieselWorks module, A2DP BT Music module and 2011 OnStar / VCIM upgrade we invisible so they are intact and untouched. If by some chance they were tampered with, they're covered as OEM equipment.

Andriod Yukon.PNG
Beside the Tesla style units there's the Android aftermarket units too. If you have rear seat entertainment (RSE) you'll likely be paying for adapters for that and the steering wheel controls. All the stuff previously mentioned above is OEM and already integrated into the RSE, steering wheel controls and voice controls for BT & OnStar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645