Replacing 6L80E Transmission - What Torque Converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drew M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 123k torque converter failed and took the trans with it so a replacement is on order. Since the issue with these transmissions is the torque converter what is the general consensus on an updated unit that doesn’t suffer from the same failure mode as the original?

Some people say the 6L80 and 6L90 TCs are different and the 90 is a fix and others say they are the same. Is there something that would increase longevity over the original unit without having to go to a $1000+ performance unit for a bome-stock Tahoe?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people say the 6L80 and 6L90 TCs are different and the 90 is a fix - and others say they are the same.
Is there something that would increase longevity over the original unit,
without having to go to a $1000+ performance unit for a bone-stock Tahoe?
There is at least one torque converter that the 6L80 & 6L90 have in common.
Ddifference is in the GM OE 'tunes'.
6L80Es are tuned for inoffensive shift feel.
TCC slips a wee lil bit to mask any V8 - V4 - V8 sensations.

6L90Es are tuned for towing / hauling very heavy loads.
TCC engagement & release are felt as nudges / bumps that Aunt Cester / Aunt Tique might whine about.

An ecm & tcm tune costs well under $1000.
There are several other benefits besides enhanced TCC longevity and disabling Engine Half @$$ / Cylinder Confusion,
even for hypermilers and non-enthusiast drivers.

Also, did you update your transmission's thermostat?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 123k torque converter failed and took the trans with it so a replacement is on order. Since the issue with these transmissions is the torque converter what is the general consensus on an updated unit that doesn’t suffer from the same failure mode as the original?

Some people say the 6L80 and 6L90 TCs are different and the 90 is a fix and others say they are the same. Is there something that would increase longevity over the original unit without having to go to a $1000+ performance unit for a bome-stock Tahoe?
My local transmission shop (best around) recommended a BU60FHD from CVC - they're a national remanufacturer, for my 2012 with the 6L80 for towing duty. It's a factory converter with a billet cover and stronger lockup clutch and can be used in either the 6L80 or 6L90. 30K so far and working great.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everythign @Marky Dissod said is correct. The Tune will help. "Flip the Pill" on the hydrostatic valve or bypass it completely - even better. Also there was a bulliten on the transmission lines to have them replaced. Not sure if it will be free but the updated lines are better as to how they are mounted to the transmission.

The replacement torque converters like CVC are def a cheaper option. I would spend the money and go for a better one like Yank, Circle D, etc. I have a Circle D triple disk in mine and I abuse the **** of out my car. I also change the trans fluid every 25k miles. There isn't a glint of metal in the fluid, even the last time with 98k on the clock and hours of Autocross abuse and a few trips to Island Dragway.

So if you are not an enthusiast, spirited driver, or have any major mods on the truck, and do all the recommendations, that trans should last longer than the truck does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wyodave