Replacement Stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colorado Yeti

Reaction score
I am interested in replacing the factory stero in my '99 Tahoe. I am looking for a stereo that is a direct bolt in so I don't have to modfy the dash. I don't need a lot of bells & whistles; just need something that is bluetooth compatible so I can talk on my phone while I drive. Dont' want to spend a lot of money, prefer < $250-300. Any suggestions?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Fless on Crutchfield.com, if you are going to perform the swap yourself. I've had great luck with Kenwood head units, and they have several models at various price points to choose from.

Last edited:

BigPapa1959

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am interested in replacing the factory stero in my '99 Tahoe. I am looking for a stereo that is a direct bolt in so I don't have to modfy the dash. I don't need a lot of bells & whistles; just need something that is bluetooth compatible so I can talk on my phone while I drive. Dont' want to spend a lot of money, prefer < $250-300. Any suggestions?

I replaced my factory with a Kenwood KMM-BT322U and it works great with bluetooth and sound quality is excellent. I too didn't want to spend a lot of money so i grabbed this one up from Best Buy Store in San Antonio. I also added the sirius xm component which plugs right into this unit. Ran the xm wiring for the antenna easily via the passenger side and is mounted above my rear hatch of my 2000 Hoe. Looks professionally installed. I grabbed up the mounting kit from them as well (not the ones they have on the shelf!). My salesman went to the back where Best buy does their car stereo installs and grabbed the kit from there. With the kit, freakin install was a breeze, SO much better that the universal ones they sell. All and all, they install looks great and seems like it was a factory install when all done.

Metra - GM Pick-Up In-Dash Installation Kit - Black
Part # 99-3002

Last edited:

Bart Hinder

Reaction score

I put the Jensen VX7020 in my '03 Tahoe. $260 gets you bluetooth, streaming, navgation, and supports a backup camera.

Bart Hinder

Reaction score
I replaced my factory with a Kenwood KMM-BT322U and it works great with bluetooth and sound quality is excellent. I too didn't want to spend a lot of money so i grabbed this one up from Best Buy Store in San Antonio. I also added the sirius xm component which plugs right into this unit. Ran the xm wiring for the antenna easily via the passenger side and is mounted above my rear hatch of my 2000 Hoe. Looks professionally installed. I grabbed up the mounting kit from them as well (not the ones they have on the shelf!). My salesman went to the back where Best buy does their car stereo installs and grabbed the kit from there. With the kit, freakin install was a breeze, SO much better that the universal ones they sell. All and all, they install looks great and seems like it was a factory install when all done.

Metra - GM Pick-Up In-Dash Installation Kit - Black
Part # 99-3002

I gotta say I'm impressed with Best Buy. I hadn't been in one for decade or so until I bought a new head unit for my Yukon. The kid was adding the parts to the shopping cart and their system was set up to do price matching with Amazon, Fry's, Crutchfield (?) and another vendor automatically. They will also reinstall the factory unit for free when you go to sell your ride.

OP
OP
Colorado Yeti

Colorado Yeti

Reaction score
Thanks everyone....lots to think about. My truck is absolutely cherry with a perfect interior and only 52,000 miles. I hate to cut it up to put a stereo in it.

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A single din with a dash kit bezel. I have a alpine that was about $150 new. Does everything i need

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645