Replaced my door lock actuators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HankHill

Reaction score
I noticed last week the door lock actuators were getting lazy, and the condition seemed to be aggravated by the recent heat wave. If I hit the lock button more than once, the little nib with orange indicator just kinda moved a little, but didn't go the full distance of travel.

After a little searching on the net; I ordered new AC Delco front actuators, both left & right. Picked up a Stanley rivet gun at Menard's.

The job is pretty strainght forward: remove the door panel, peel back the water deflector, drill/chisel the old rivets, and remove the actuator off the lock rod. The worst part of the job is dealing with the door panel. I just took my time & have a decent clip popper tool from Snap-on.

Installation is the reverse, and the Delco parts came with plenty of rivets! I also took the time to put a little grease on the rods where the clips hold them in place; just to keep everything operating smoothly. I think this was the first time the panel had been off in 12 years, so I also wiped down the backside of the panel & cleaned things up a bit.

The door locks work great now - no more "one hit and done" action. So if yours are exhibiting the same conditions as mine, don't put up with it - just fix it. The cost was around $130 for the parts + $30 for the rivet gun. Worth it to have functioning door locks again!

ETA: I forgot to mention I had my 13 yo son help me. The new rivets are pretty good sized, and I needed both hands to squeeze the gun. I had my son hold the actuator up tight to the inner panel ....so three hands at this point is very beneficial!

Last edited:

Hammer450R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my 07 and there wasnt rivets. Just 3 screws and plug and play.

OP
OP
H

HankHill

Reaction score
Yep, one of the benefits of woking on an '07 versus a '00 OBS. But the pop-rivets work just fine for what they need to do, and I got a new tool out of the deal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog