Replace plugs, wires, and coils.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
This weekend I ran into a po305 engine code. Misfire on cylinder 5.
Pulled plug didn’t look bad, but it is a NGK. The center electrode looked pretty slim, down to a small point. I cleaned it up a bit and put it back in. Cleared code and all is running fine so far.

I bought truck in December with 153k on the clock. I’m assuming the plugs have been changed, not sure about wires. Going to change both out with OEM.

Coils have exterior rust, and again I’m assuming they are original. Is it worth changing these out at this time, or wait til closer to 200k

I’ve had great advice here in the past few weeks and appreciate any feedback.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
This weekend I ran into a po305 engine code. Misfire on cylinder 5.
Pulled plug didn’t look bad, but it is a NGK. The center electrode looked pretty slim, down to a small point. I cleaned it up a bit and put it back in. Cleared code and all is running fine so far.

I bought truck in December with 153k on the clock. I’m assuming the plugs have been changed, not sure about wires. Going to change both out with OEM.

Coils have exterior rust, and again I’m assuming they are original. Is it worth changing these out at this time, or wait til closer to 200k

I’ve had great advice here in the past few weeks and appreciate any feedback.
I wouldn't waste money and change out the coils. I've read they either work or don't. Def not like the old school coils.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If that spark plug is iridium or platinum, the center electrode would taper toward the business end. Cleaning those types of tips can damage them. Did you note the NGK number on the plug and, if you did, would you post it up? Or maybe a picture of the tip?

OP
OP
M

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
If that spark plug is iridium or platinum, the center electrode would taper toward the business end. Cleaning those types of tips can damage them. Did you note the NGK number on the plug and, if you did, would you post it up? Or maybe a picture of the tip?
Unfortunately I was in a hurry to get it back together and head to work. I did not however mess with the center electrode. I wiped off the ceramic and tip where wire connects.

If I get a chance I’ll pull it this weekend, note the numbers and snap a photo.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put in new AC Delco Iridium Plugs.. you won't need to gap them as they
are iridium . Make sure you buy from a reputable supplier as there are counterfits out there.
Any brand of wires will be fine.. Then you'll be good on that for a while.. As stated
above, don't waste your money... coil packs are fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10