Replace air ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_tow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Replacing the air ride with strutmasters kit. New front strut assembly, rear shocks and coils and the electronic module to delete the warning message. We tow a camper and a boat which are well within the capacity of the tahoe. Will this help with excessive body roll and yaw? The stock sway bar appears in good condition, but thinking new bushings may be beneficial. New sway nar kitsch are pricey.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the air ride with strutmasters kit. New front strut assembly, rear shocks and coils and the electronic module to delete the warning message. We tow a camper and a boat which are well within the capacity of the tahoe. Will this help with excessive body roll and yaw? The stock sway bar appears in good condition, but thinking new bushings may be beneficial. New sway nar kitsch are pricey.

The springs for the ALC-equipped models are a little softer than those on the standard models since the air sleeves keep a minimum amount of pressure in them at all times which adds some firmness. Without functioning air springs, it very well could be too soft, especially when loaded. I'd absolutely replace/upgrade the sway bar bushings and end links. They're too cheap and easy to not do so. Something like $8 for the rear and $7 for the front. The end links (full kit with bolts, bushings, etc.) are around $6.50 each. These all have thermoplastic bushings.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @iamdub stated above, you need to replace the rear springs with non-air ride springs, particularly because you plan to tow.

Removing the air ride will not result in any improvement in sway and yaw control. If you really want improve sway and yaw control, invest in a pair of Hellwig sway bars. Expensive, but totally worth it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear air suspension is worth keeping. New OEM air shocks can be had on rock auto for a reasonable price. I tow a 7500 lb camper and it's the best system I've ever used. I've replaced the rear shocks on both of our Yukon XL's with new and the compressor on our '07 and it tows like a dream. Sway may be coming from not having the right hitch or hitch setup. Also, the Tahoe's short wheelbase is not ideal for towing.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the advantages of the Auto-Level system which uses air shocks to level the vehicle is the increased stability when towing. As you have already been told, you may actually decrease your vehicles towing stability if you delete the Auto-Level feature.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't read it as him deleting the ALC, just replacing it with aftermarket replacements. Or, does the Strutmasters kit fully delete for ALC and Autoride?

@big_tow, I cosign the others' suggestions of keeping ALC. You can do without Autoride if the shocks are firm enough.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
What vehicle are ya working on?

Keep in mind that ABS is tied into the stabilatrac that’s incorporated into the ride height, yaw and steering angle sensors.

After 2011 z55 autoride is tied into the tow software for auto descent braking, hill roll control at idle, anti sway for towing and a few more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts