Repaint Olympic White

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dinoedwards

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Notorious paint chipping on my 2003 Tahoe. This truck is sweet and want to keep it for at least any other year. Thinking about scuff and shoot with Glacial White from The Coating Store UreChem product single stage. Olympic white is too costly so picked Glacial not Glacier. Found that color is same as new Kia white.
Already have nice upgraded 17's, may go 18's, cat back exhaust, hi dollar cold air and under 170k miles. No ticks no oil leaks new rear shock $600 and water pump.
Thoughts on this color choice and scuff and shoot.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the specific colors you mentioned.

But, I would suggest taking a piece of sheet metal, lay down some primer (gray primer would be good base), give it a few coats and hold it up to the truck in good light to compare.

Even if you knew the exact color formula on the new paint, your paint might have aged enough to be different than the fresh paint out of the can.

Do a test sample before you start scuffing up your truck.
That would be my advice.

Once you start scuffing the paint on your truck, you are committed to keep spraying trial and error until you get the color to match the way you want it to.

I am guessing you only want to do this once...

Alaxgoaly8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got the same color on my 04 denali and you might want to try doing a buff on it first cause it just might be your clearcoat with the issues. If you can get away with a scuff and layers of clear, you may not have to mess with the color. The other thing is... It's an older truck like mine (176k miles)... May just be worth it to get a Maaco job on it if you're local Maaco does an OK job? If you're not looking to make it a show truck, may be worth saving the few bucks there. Maybe not though. I'm sure people see Maaco and run for the hills.

I'm in the same boat as you. Probably gonna have a professional detailer come out to give me their assessment on the paint and how far gone it is.

OP
OP
D

dinoedwards

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Went with Glacial White from Urechem, sealer, single stage. Not bad better than before. The roof is a bear!

Attachments

• 20230508_181015.jpg
    20230508_181015.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230508_180950.jpg
    20230508_180950.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elteclas