Removing the HMI Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmitchell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is great information. The only thing I can add to this is when the harnesses are all disconnected there is only 1 retainer clip holding the HMI in place. It is located on the top of the HMI and you simply push up on it to allow the HMI to slide out. Here is a picture...
20140507_2207092.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Oh and instead of jumping the connectors I just let my vehicle sit idle for a week to avoid the extra electrical work.

OP
OP
S

steverkemp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Smart idea on avoiding the extra electrical work. Thanks for the additional info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OneStepAhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm trying to do this on my 2015 Escalade. So far the main difference appears to be that there are only 4 torx screws, and they are t15's. Well, t15 fit in there, it may actually be a slightly different size. I've now got the glove box fully removed and the black lining.

What is the trick to getting the blue antenna harness to disconnect? That''s the only one I'm struggling with at the moment.

I don't think I'm going to attempt to bridge some connections. What if for some reason the Escalade wiring is slightly different and I bridge the wrong thing? Doesn't seem safe.

GTPprix

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to do this on my 2015 Escalade. So far the main difference appears to be that there are only 4 torx screws, and they are t15's. Well, t15 fit in there, it may actually be a slightly different size. I've now got the glove box fully removed and the black lining.

What is the trick to getting the blue antenna harness to disconnect? That''s the only one I'm struggling with at the moment.

I don't think I'm going to attempt to bridge some connections. What if for some reason the Escalade wiring is slightly different and I bridge the wrong thing? Doesn't seem safe.

Antenna has a small detent that needs to be pressed and pulled off. You should be able to feel the grooved area on the release area. The wiring is exactly the same at least to the HMI its the same module with the same inputs.

OneStepAhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I seem to of made a *slight* oversight when reinstalling my glove box after the HMI mod. I forgot to plug the power cable into the glovebox and closed it. Now obviously the powered glovebox button will not open it. I cant see the cable from underneath. There has to be someway to open this thing without the power hooked up, right? :)

OneStepAhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I figured out the solution. If you need to open the glove box on a 2015 Cadillac Escalade or Yukon and you don't have power, you first need to remove the piece of trim that is on the right side of the instrument panel. Just open the passenger door and gently pull off the trim that is on the side of the dash, there are 6 clips if I recall and it comes off surprisingly easy. This exposes a fuse panel and also allows you to insert a long object (I used a twig) to manually release the lock.

Opening the Instrument Panel Compartment Door without Electrical Power (Cadillac)

Ivz9b3P.jpg

Opening the Instrument Panel Compartment Door without Electrical Power
Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure

Remove the right instrument panel fuse block access hole cover. Refer to Instrument Panel Fuse Block Access Hole Cover Replacement.

Instrument Panel Compartment Door Latch

Note: It is important that the tool used is blunt, such as a ¼ inch drive socket extension or eraser end of a pencil. Sharper tools, such as a screwdriver, may damage the latch mechanism.

Procedure

In the event that either the actuator or the glove box button should become inoperative, the compartment door can be opened by inserting a small, blunt ended tool into the access hole to manually release the latch and open the door.

Last edited:

OneStepAhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's the brains for the Infotainment stuff. We are taking them out to have them hacked by White Auto and Media Services. Allows us to have video in motion, sms, enter addresses to the NAV while in drive, and startup sounds.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just removed my HMI this morning to ship to Chris. Can't wait to get the mod done.

Just another option for how to drive your vehicle with the HMI removed-

The pins in question 11/13 12/14 are 2 white wires and 2 blue wires. Instead of risking damaging your connector - there is plenty of slack in the harness. Remove the factory cloth electrical tape, simply cut the 2 blue wires and splice them together (on the truck side = leave the 2 wires going to the connector cut) and do the same to the 2 white wires. Takes about 5 minutes. When your HMI comes back, simply connect the wires back together. Zero risk of damage.

Just another option. I know some people won't feel comfortable doing that but I am a professional auto tech by trade so no biggie here ;) One item of concern to me is if you jump those wires and your jumper falls out driving do the road - you are totally screwed.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Antenna has a small detent that needs to be pressed and pulled off. You should be able to feel the grooved area on the release area. The wiring is exactly the same at least to the HMI its the same module with the same inputs.

To add to this:

The detent/button you push is on the top. I used a 90 degree pick, pressed the button in and the antenna came right off.

VERY easy to remove HMI. 20 minute job MAX including tricking the CAN BUS.

GTPprix

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI and heads up to you guys, I have entered into contract that as of July 1st this product will be sold exclusively through a very reputable third party. The thing is it will also be more expensive so if you have ANY interest in getting this done you'd need to order before July 1st; just a heads up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011