Remote Start in '02

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple chilly mornings has reminded me I need to get a remote start installed in my '02. The truck has whatever factory security is standard and no security in the ignition key.

I've got the full set of factory service manuals and have installed several remote starts on other vehicles. Is there anything unique about the '02 hoe that should have me reconsidering doing this? There are a couple of basic viper kits online that look like they will do the job.

thanks....

EDIT: I've been doing a bunch of research here and online. If I do not have the ignition key with the chip do I still have passlock? Do I need the bypass module?

Last edited:

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you still need a bypass. You need a bypass to disable the Passlock II system. You don't need a doorlock bypass or anything on a 02, just the Passlock II bypass.

OP
OP
NC_John

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you still need a bypass. You need a bypass to disable the Passlock II system. You don't need a doorlock bypass or anything on a 02, just the Passlock II bypass.

one of the xpresskits I read about in another thread? thanks.....

OP
OP
NC_John

NC_John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-4 on the XK06. I've done a few starters - multiple F-150's, toyotas, probably a couple others, but have never had to deal with an interface before. The ford keys with the security chip were easy to get around. So I get the XK06 and the starter kit I want (which will be a viper). Does most of the wiring get handled through the XK (appears to be Installation "D") or is it just oversimplified on the installation notes?

thanks a lot for the assistance. I'm trying to get everything straight before I get under the dash....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
808JAM