2001 Tahoe Theft Recovery Security Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steveshow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a theft recovery 2001 Tahoe a couple of weeks ago. They broke the key switch to steal it, by prying the switch out from behind the key cylinder. The truck would start and I drove it around the storage lot. However when I tried to start it to unload it, it would not even crank. I repeated the janky procedure the seller showed me with no luck. Due to the broken column, I decided to swap the steering column for a good column with key that I picked up on FB marketplace for $100. I figured I would have to do the “relearn” procedure (key in on position for an hour, off for ten minutes, repeat three times and still no crank. The “security” light is still illuminated. I put a remote start switch on it at the starter and it started. Any advice?

Last edited:

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umm. Maybe the switch is bad? Not sure why it managed to start if the security message was illuminated?

VATS allows the starter to fire, but it immediately kills spark/injector pulsing and fuel. I tried starting my 99 Silverado w/o deleting VATS on an engine swap and that's what I discovered: engine cranks, fires and immediately died (maybe in like 1/2 second). I checked with a test light on the injector wire and fuel pressure gauge and both died immediately after it started. Once I got VATS deleted and it started right up.

Edit: maybe VATS has already been removed?

Last edited:

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
This is an educated guess so don't hold me to it.. I'm pretty sure with any PID related to emissions or security, you have one start cycle, maybe two before it activates or in the case of vehicles after 2010, it'll become a permanent error.

Get the GM Tech2Win. You have a lot of options but this might be your best and least expensive option.

Supported model years for tech 2-->
https://www.gmparts.com/content/dam...-assets/documents/GDS2_Supported_Vehicles.pdf

Tech2Win software and subscription-->

C

OP
OP
S

Steveshow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Umm. Maybe the switch is bad? Not sure why it managed to start if the security message was illuminated?

VATS allows the starter to fire, but it immediately kills spark/injector pulsing and fuel. I tried starting my 99 Silverado w/o deleting VATS on an engine swap and that's what I discovered: engine cranks, fires and immediately died (maybe in like 1/2 second). I checked with a test light on the injector wire and fuel pressure gauge and both died immediately after it started. Once I got VATS deleted and it started right up.

Edit: maybe VATS has already been removed?
Thanks. I thought it was pretty weird that the truck started like it did when I bought it. The seller started it several times. It would start with the rigged switch. The “new” column and key made no difference.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019