Regretting lowering, please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
03Dnasty

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DJM 2/3 kit. Rear springs and shock extenders with keys up front. Bilstein HD shocks which I also found after doing some searching on here that other's said are really stiff springs so that explains some of my rough ride.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DJM 2/3 kit. Rear springs and shock extenders with keys up front. Bilstein HD shocks which I also found after doing some searching on here that other's said are really stiff springs so that explains some of my rough ride.

Yes....not too concerned about the springs ...stiff ass shocks tho.

Is the front bottoming out?

Did you cut down the rear bumptops?

OP
OP
03Dnasty

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I cut both fronts and rears half off. Did get under it the other day and saw that the front was almost touching the bump stops. I'm not sure on the rears, I didn't look at them. Who makes replacement slim bump stops?

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cody, couldn't say who makes a slim bump stop. Try Prothane or Energy Suspension. I ran a 2/3 key/coil drop and it was pretty firm. Like most have said, the bilsteins are a firm shock. Maybe try a softer shock like the BellTechs? Personally, I love my 5/5.5 and I didn't really care for how it rode with the 2/3. Have you done the free travel mod? That may really help. Also, I just completely removed my front bump stops when I was 2/3 so that is an option. I have been hearing good things about Z71 bump stops up front so that may be something to check out as well. There are a lot of things that can cause it not to ride how you'd like, but try a few different parts to get the ride you want.

I'd really recommend getting with Tony (NorcalSS) as he may have some suggestions that could really help you out.

Alex

OP
OP
03Dnasty

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not looked into the free travel mod, just started coming across it recently in my searches about rough rides after lowering... Might have to look into changing out the shocks if I don't decide to just go back up with it.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
2/3 DJM with Bilstein shocks. Cut bump stops half off. Truck rides like crap and bottoms out! WTF! I'm seriously thinking about going back to stock height and leveling out the front end just to get ride quality back even though I love the way it looks.

like ive said before for a full 2 inch front drop the spindles ride like stock. With the keys cranked for 2 inches no real travel so ride suffers plus i know people talk aout bilsteins i just feel they ride to stiff and so use front/rear belltech street performance shocks.

in rear the belltech kit will ride better 5305 springs with spacer its just that the bilsteins in ride mated to the djm springs ride stiff.

OP
OP
03Dnasty

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm tired of spending money on it. Ill probably just go back up with it. Maybe some different shocks too. Need to research some stock height springs and leveling keys for front.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i understand but trust me if you did spindles in front ride would be 10x better and in rear if your using djm springs with shock extenders going to a belltech shock would ride better.

If you decide to change it up and go for a lowered ride that will be good on your back just hollar.

chacho44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, I'm thinking of just lowering the rear on my esv. Gl to u man in getting her right again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jj87