Front suspension sag with plow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1999 Yukon for the sole purpose of plowing the 1-mile dirt lane I live on. The Yukon came with a 7.5’ Western plow with poly blade. The previous owner purchased the Yukon with the plow, and removed the plow for the 3 years that he used the Yukon as a daily driver. I put the plow back onto the Yukon yesterday and it completely crushed the front suspension, to the point that the lower plow frame was dragging the ground along the high spots on my lane. My guess is that the coil springs wore out during the time it was used without the plow attached. The Yukon shows signs of having had at least 2 different plows mounted to it over the years, so it's probably been rode pretty hard.

I am looking for a solution that is the best combination of low cost and ease of install. I can get heavy duty coil springs for around $100, but not sure how big of a job that will be when you take into consideration rusted bolts and such. Another option I found is the Timbren Front Suspension Enhancement System, which replaces the front bump stops with a hollow rubber “spring” that would act sort of like a ride-rite airbag on a leaf spring setup. The Timbren setup is around $250, but the install looks to be super-simple.

Any thoughts on these 2 possibilities, or is there something else that may warrant my attention? Please keep in mind the following:
  • This vehicle will never see road use again. It will be used only on my lane and will most likely never be in excess of 20mph – so things like ride quality and body roll mean nothing in this application.
  • I am fairly mechanically inclined and have the tools to do most jobs, but free time is pretty difficult to come by.
  • This Yukon is definitely nearing the end of its life – my hope is to run it a few years (maybe 15 miles per year max), then sell it for scrap. As such, my only concern is keeping the plow at an acceptable height.
Thank you for any input!

Foot0069

Reaction score
I've seen plows on tahoes. Only thing I can think of would be to replace the bars, and or install a set of air shocks. I bet if you talked to a Monroe rep you'd be able to source some in the right length. Since you're in essence fabbing a farm truck, roadability wouldn't be a thing.

Foot0069

Reaction score
Hey welcome to the Forum and don't worry about asking the wrong questions. I'm guilty as well. As to the Timbren bits I'd say yes from reading the verbage. No personal experience however. Pricey compared to a hundred dollar set of shocks though. You could pump them up with an air compressor, nothing fancy required. My old farmer mentality kicking in.

OP
OP
F

Frank R

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've seen plows on tahoes. Only thing I can think of would be to replace the bars, and or install a set of air shocks. I bet if you talked to a Monroe rep you'd be able to source some in the right length. Since you're in essence fabbing a farm truck, roadability wouldn't be a thing.
This is certainly worth a look - thank you. I've never played around with air shocks, so this never crossed my mind. I see ones listed for the rear, but not the front - I'll have to get some measurements (unless anyone knows off-hand how long the fronts are).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts