Recommended Deep Cycle Battery - Optima OR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the Optima's are most popular but I went with a Sears one which did me well for 4.5 years of heavy usage. Sears not around like that anymore. Anything out there to handle abuse from car audio? I dont sit in car listening while its off but want to keep that option open, thus why i am asking for the deep cycle.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They have any stage of battery you want for a vehicle. They are my go to. I don't like to over think things. I ran shops for 35+ years and used them with no problems. Dependability is important to me.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the batteries in theothertwin recently. I wanted AGM like thecopcar already had. In north america, there are only three manufactures of AGM batteries; East Penn, Northstar or Johnson Controls. All others are relabelled.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I updated my post w/ a better back story...

It took me five years to finally have it sink in and lose my loyalty for Optima. My buddy who hassled me for sticking with them said it coincided with Johnson Control purchasing Optima and then moving them to Mexico.

The research I could get my hands on pointed to JC using materials that were of lesser purity and that short life’d their spiral cell batteries. JC was no longer honoring warranty claims over the counter. They had their resellers collect the ailing battery and put it on an Optima made battery charger to recover it.

At that point I spent $2h on the Optima charger and didn’t step foot in the local auto part store the optima was purchased from. I sidestepped the flat, unrecoverable battery scenarios a few more times with the Optima charger.

I had another one (of the four) optima battery I owned fail after a DVD player was left on. No replacement Optima were in stock for warranty so I got a Bosch AGM (now labeled Champion). It’s a flat plate design unlike the Optima’s spiral, but it rebounds flawlessly from a full run flat. With a four year, hassle free, over the counter warranty from PepBoys this one’s a winner.

https://www.pepboys.com/champion-agm-battery-group-size-h6/product/2071686

c8525223ffc8cea02a386d25ac48d121.jpg

To answer the next question, Johnson Control manufacturers Champion and Interstate. Here’s the ultimate low down on manufacturing of batteries:

http://www.jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon