Walmart Battery Warranty Actually Works, But You'll Be There Forever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my truck, it had an EverStart Maxx MAXX-78S battery in it with 650cca made 9/2018. I recently replaced my alternator (the bearings were going and it was making an annoying noise) and decided to try and warranty the battery because it was within the free 3-year replacement period and its reserve capacity was terrible. It always started the car but not with much gusto and if you leave a door open for more than 20 minutes and the interior lights are on, the truck wouldn't start anymore. Now I admit that could have been the old alternator, but it did read 14.6 or so when the truck was running so I doubt it.

Anywho, I go to my preferred Walmart, wait in line at the Customer Service for about 15 minutes, ask the guy behind the counter how the battery warranty process works. He tells me (bring in the old battery, get another from the shelf, they do the swap in the computer). I was expecting him to have to test it. I guess this Walmart not having an auto center negated that, if it ever was a requirement. Anyway, I get my battery out of the truck with my handy tools, wait another 10 minutes at Customer Service, drop it on the counter and tell him I'll go get the new battery. He says, "Cool," and I go to the back and can't find a MAXX-78S. I find a MAXX-78N, which is in the Maxx (their top of the line) model range and has the same yellow label and everything is the same except the slight model number difference and the CCAs. My old battery was 650cca and this new one is 800cca. I figure whatever, he won't notice or this is the replacement anyway and Walmart's computer system will handle it and it'll be fine.

I lug the new battery back up to the front, wait 15 more minutes in the Customer Service line waiting for Karen to price check some clothes that didn't have a price on them and some lady to return a TV she clearly broke and get in a big fight about it, and then finally it's my turn and we initiate the battery warranty process. Full stop. He tells me wrong battery, gotta be the same model number. So I run to the back and check again. Then I get my phone out, find out Johnson Conrols/EverStart discontinued the MAXX-78S and the new model is MAXX-78N based on 1 obscure Ask a Mechanic site that showed up on page two of the Google results. Apparently the MAXX-78S was having issues with - go figure - reserve capacity.

Ug... so I head back up, wait thankfully only 5 more minutes, explain the situation to the guy. He can tell I'm kind of ticked and I've been running around but I was being nice and he was like, "Eh, doesn't mattery to me but I need manager to turn a key on the register." Cool... I worked retail in my past, I get that. Wait a whopping 20 minutes for said manager to appear. She throws the guy her key basically on the way out the door not even wearing Walmart garb anymore and he completes the process. I even had the pleasure of paying for and then getting returned the battery core fee which took a few extra minutes.

But... in the end, I walked out with a brand new battery with 800cca instead of just 650cca that only cost me time and I got some steps in. Well, that time was spent in a Walmart, which is painful, to say the least, but... I wasn't doing anything anyway that night. The new battery starts the engine noticeably better, which any new battery does in my life experience, but more importantly, I get sit through an entire drive in movie (which is a thing now again thanks to COVID) and not have to start my truck. And you know what that means? That means I can "pretend" to watch the movie while my girl and I get busy behind the tinted windows without interruptions. Of course I can only last a couple minutes, but I digress.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually got to experience a Walmart battery warranty replacement myself recently. First one for me. The EverStart in my girlfriend's car was acting like yours- weak reserve. It was about a week or so shy of it's 24-month free replacement warranty expiring. I charged it almost all day before bringing the car to Walmart to swap it. They seemed at first like they were gonna turn me away cuz they didn't have a bay or anyone available to deal with it. I told him I'll pull the battery in the parking lot and could have it on his counter in about five minutes. He said to bring it in and he'll test it. I'm thinking "great, he's gonna see the voltage is good and deny the warranty". He hooked up a little hand-held device to it and it spat out a paper. To my surprise, he said it was a bad battery and rattled off some percentage of capacity that it was below. Maybe three minutes later, I'm walking back out to the parking lot to install the new battery. I had the receipt from when I bought the first one, but the print was barely visible. He didn't even need it. He just scanned the barcode on the old battery and my info came up. Surprisingly painless process.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont do walmart batteries through bad experiences with them not lasting. yes they cover the warranty each time and each new replacement battery resets the warranty period so i could have indefinitely replaced the battery every year. dealt with it myself on one of my vehicles and dealt with it on my father in laws vehicle. was enough for me to never buy everstart walmart batteries again.

watuzi

Reaction score
That's why you buy your batteries at Costco. No hassle with discontinued models. Go there when the line isn't that long. You don't need a receipt, just your membership card.

OP
OP
W

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if I was a Costco member, sure. But as a single guy that would have to travel about 30 minutes to get to a Coscto... nah, not worth it.

OP
OP
W

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont do walmart batteries through bad experiences with them not lasting. yes they cover the warranty each time and each new replacement battery resets the warranty period so i could have indefinitely replaced the battery every year. dealt with it myself on one of my vehicles and dealt with it on my father in laws vehicle. was enough for me to never buy everstart walmart batteries again.

First time I've ever had an issue with one. They're made by Johnson Controls like most other batteries are.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time I've ever had an issue with one. They're made by Johnson Controls like most other batteries are.
ya this was a while ago so they could be better. however being ive worked in production facilities for quite a while just because they are made in the same place as other batteries doesn't make them equal. a facility that produces multiple "brands" has different quality tolerances for each brand. either way not saying dont buy what works for you just making a comment on my experiences with them. ive also had issues with msd products with terrible customer service to boot but there plenty of people who swear by them.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My first choice would've been a Super Start from O'Reilly. But, her original battery failed late one night and Walmart was all that was open. I hope that one dying just under the two-year mark was an isolated fluke. I live 30 minutes away from the city limits, but Baton Rouge got a Costco a few years ago. Among plenty other reasons, I'm really considering getting a membership.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first choice would've been a Super Start from O'Reilly. But, her original battery failed late one night and Walmart was all that was open. I hope that one dying just under the two-year mark was an isolated fluke. I live 30 minutes away from the city limits, but Baton Rouge got a Costco a few years ago. Among plenty other reasons, I'm really considering getting a membership.
not having a spare vehicle or having a battery die when your already out and about you generally dont have alot of choices. i haven't had a battery die on me in a long time but im a little overkill about it. soon as i notice the engine isnt turning over as fast as it normally does i go in deep. i have terrible luck and it generally trickles down to whatever vehicle my wife is driving at that time. also never seems to happen in a good spot. i dont like the thought of her and the kids being stranded anywhere. i also dont like the idea of driving to god knows where she decided to go to rescue her. lol not suggesting im a terrible husband im just lazy and dont want to.

BaMaDuDe87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will never buy a battery at Walmart again after going through their “warranty” process. Had a Maxx went bad, they tried to tell me it was a year warranty.....even after I pointed out the HUGE ASS SIGNS right above the battery rack that said 3 years for the Maxx. Back and forth dance between the auto counter and customer service with my battery in tow about 5 times. The “manager” over the auto center even got involved trying to tell me it was only a year warranty. Finally got a print out from customer service that said warranty it. Dumbass auto center “manager” still couldn’t comprehend. I eventually got a replacement, but holy hell not worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne