Recommend Me A Transmission Rebuilder in the Atlanta Area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4L60E was starting to exhibit some shudder between 1-2 and it'd seem to slip (almost like the TC was in and out of lock) in 4th gear. I decided to chuck a parts cannon at it to see if I fix it with the usual solenoid, accumulator, and servo outpatient surgery and see what happens. The 1-2 issue was fixed, but the issues in the 3-4 area are starting to get worse and between 2-3 and sometimes switches but doesn't lock in (that's what it feels like; there's a rev and then finally it holds). This all feels very TC as the main culprit to me, but the truck has 200K miles on it and I don't think the transmission has been rebuilt.

I watch Precision Transmission on YouTube a lot. That guy can rebuild a 4L60E with his eyes closed. That is the kind of person I want working on my transmission. Someone honest, the guy that knows what to do.

Is there anyone like them in the Atlanta area? I've heard of Mad Dog Transmissions, but mixed reviews.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’m having a GM reman put in. Three year 100k warranty.

Local builder offered a cheaper build, but only a 1 year warranty at his shop.

Then there’s all sorts of others brands of reman distributed with a 3 year/ 100 warranty or similar. Then when you read their actual warranty documents they are full of weasel words. Such as only paying $50 hourly rates for repairs, or requiring return of the trans to their factory, and only reimbursing you later *IF* they approve the claim. YOU have to foot the bill to repair or replace their transmission that failed.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
How do you get a GM reman?
At the dealer parts department, just like any other GM part. The warranty is good whether you have them install it, or an independent shop. Lots of independent shops will handle the whole deal and procure it from GM for you.

BUT- be an informed consumer and shop around. Mine lists for 2500 and I’m paying 1900. Lots of places are hungry and they’ll charge you list price if they can. Prices are just the trans. Labor for my 4x4 is 9 hours.

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4L60E was starting to exhibit some shudder between 1-2 and it'd seem to slip (almost like the TC was in and out of lock) in 4th gear. I decided to chuck a parts cannon at it to see if I fix it with the usual solenoid, accumulator, and servo outpatient surgery and see what happens. The 1-2 issue was fixed, but the issues in the 3-4 area are starting to get worse and between 2-3 and sometimes switches but doesn't lock in (that's what it feels like; there's a rev and then finally it holds). This all feels very TC as the main culprit to me, but the truck has 200K miles on it and I don't think the transmission has been rebuilt.

I watch Precision Transmission on YouTube a lot. That guy can rebuild a 4L60E with his eyes closed. That is the kind of person I want working on my transmission. Someone honest, the guy that knows what to do.

Is there anyone like them in the Atlanta area? I've heard of Mad Dog Transmissions, but mixed reviews.
I am surprised. I have my 4L65E that is slipping. Ordered the transgo kit on Amazon and less than 100! Just have to wait 2 weeks and it will be fixed.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

wildcatgoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has 200K+ on it with an untouched transmission. I mean... it's time.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a reman put in my Silverado last march. Cost me 3000 installed. The transmission guy i go to doesn't even touch a 60e anymore. He said he can get a reman and install it cheaper than he can go through one. Gave me a 5 year unlimited mile warranty too. I trust him he has done the trans in my Nova and it gets ABUSED and has lasted 15 years.... maybe closer to 20 now lol, the 4t60 in my grandmother's 92 olds regency elite, the 4r100 in my uncles f250 plow truck.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans shops are voodoo magic, I would second a GM Reman.

dojrs

Reaction score

Its not terribly close to you but there is a transmission builder in Moultrie, GA named Godley's Performance Transmissions. the man who owns it got his start in drag racing and knows his stuff !!! I wanna say it's about a ten day turn around time. he rebuilt mine and it had 285k miles on it. google them and talk to them. I promise well worth it in my opinion.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't help you out but my 2 cents FWIW. Dealing with most transmission shops is usually a complex quagmire. Like in the old AAMCO commercials with the two monkeys beating on a automatic transmission.

Good luck.