Recommend a head unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
4ECFDFDF-ABEF-4F77-85E9-4BE88645CB29.jpeg Install is complete, other than awaiting parts to add the USB port. That’s why I haven’t reinstalled the trim yet in the photo.

Sound is good for stock speakers, wireless CarPlay is fantastic. Still figuring out all the possibilities.

Regarding the topic of grounding the parking brake input, my reading indicates Pioneer got wise to that and the HU requires a change of state to enable those functions. Defeat devices are sold, which are basically a relay. I just took the easy way out and hooked it up to the parking brake.

Thanks again to all the contributors to this thread. I really appreciate the help.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issue for us is wanting to download content online, and watch it later offline, when there’s no cell or internet available. Some of the media services are clever enough to play back in the download device and disable offline screen sharing. Of course Apple iOS is complicit in this because they provide the API to allow the app like Netflix to know where the content is displayed.
if you are internet savvy then you can download any show or series or movie to a sd card or thumb drive and the pioneer will play many formats there are some it does not. If you are attempting to "display or mirror" it from a phone then yes you will run into issue's where it will not play on a external device. the work around otherwise is to use a media device with hdmi output and a hotspot such a firestick or roku, etc those type of devices are designed to display the media on a tv and in this case the pioneer screen would be the "tv"

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 275018 Install is complete, other than awaiting parts to add the USB port. That’s why I haven’t reinstalled the trim yet in the photo.

Sound is good for stock speakers, wireless CarPlay is fantastic. Still figuring out all the possibilities.

Regarding the topic of grounding the parking brake input, my reading indicates Pioneer got wise to that and the HU requires a change of state to enable those functions. Defeat devices are sold, which are basically a relay. I just took the easy way out and hooked it up to the parking brake.

Thanks again to all the contributors to this thread. I really appreciate the help.
Awesome, glad you got it up and running. I replaced my factory speakers with some JBL 6 1/2” that didn’t break the bank but sound great, about $80 per pair iirc. You know, just in case you decide to upgrade speakers. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
A final comment on the Pioneer DMH-4660NEX, having lived with it for a while. I will NOT recommend this head unit to others.

The wireless CarPlay works properly most of the time, but not always. Occasionally it glitches and the screen goes blank.

Or it will take a phone call, but not transmit audio on one side of the conversation. Sometimes I can’t hear callers, sometimes they can’t hear me.

It’s also subject to discernible lag that’s not present when using USB connected CarPlay.

The SiriusXM app is glitchy using the CarPlay interface.

In general it’s typical buggy tech that is a disappointment from a major brand like Pioneer. This thing needs a firmware update in the worst way. Or something.

I also have another data point from another family member with this unit who reports the same type of experience. They also have an older Pioneer from the line preceding the NEX which has all the same capabilities and it does not present these issues.

Caveat emptor.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A final comment on the Pioneer DMH-4660NEX, having lived with it for a while. I will NOT recommend this head unit to others.

The wireless CarPlay works properly most of the time, but not always. Occasionally it glitches and the screen goes blank.

Or it will take a phone call, but not transmit audio on one side of the conversation. Sometimes I can’t hear callers, sometimes they can’t hear me.

It’s also subject to discernible lag that’s not present when using USB connected CarPlay.

The SiriusXM app is glitchy using the CarPlay interface.

In general it’s typical buggy tech that is a disappointment from a major brand like Pioneer. This thing needs a firmware update in the worst way. Or something.

I also have another data point from another family member with this unit who reports the same type of experience. They also have an older Pioneer from the line preceding the NEX which has all the same capabilities and it does not present these issues.

Caveat emptor.
Have you checked for a firmware update? That’s unfortunate. I have their AVH-1330NEX in one truck and AVH-W4400NEX in another and they both work flawlessly. Wireless CarPlay always works on the 4400 (the 1330 is wired) but every once in awhile I have to bring up my Amazon music stations on my phone before they can be played. It’s not an issue really, 98% of the time I can keep my phone in my pocket. So I know their technology is good, maybe you just got a bad HU out of the box. I’m sure they’ll exchange it for you, and you could just swap the HU’s themselves and leave all the wiring in the box the new one came in and send it back so all you’d have to do is swap the unit in the dash kit and plug your harnesses into it.

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the Stinger 10.1 installed. The Kenwood seemed to be nicer, but couldn't find one anywhere.

Screen.jpg

Last edited:

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve run multiple head-units in my Denali and my Kenwood DMX1057XR is by far the best I’ve had in here. It’s a hi res media center capable of LDAC streaming as well. The screen is amazing and it’s one of the few that has a true 5v pre out which is a must for me with the rest of my sq system (I compete in sq shows)

I also ran the factory head unit and a 2nd Sony RSX-GS9 at the same time with 2 inputs prior to. Kenwood dmx1057xr also will run all factory alerts and monitoring
627FCF27-28A2-4060-A9A2-5CA8A22AD60D.jpeg

Attachments

• FAD32D37-0142-4B1C-B8EB-3BE7E331AE5C.jpeg
    FAD32D37-0142-4B1C-B8EB-3BE7E331AE5C.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 74A13AA7-2BC8-46B8-9A4A-C054B771436C.jpeg
    74A13AA7-2BC8-46B8-9A4A-C054B771436C.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 86753B49-7CE6-4923-ACEE-AD4B796C08AA.jpeg
    86753B49-7CE6-4923-ACEE-AD4B796C08AA.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 4AA6C1A0-D2A0-43A1-BF47-5C2D650D4637.jpeg
    4AA6C1A0-D2A0-43A1-BF47-5C2D650D4637.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 19

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve run multiple head-units in my Denali and my Kenwood DMX1057XR is by far the best I’ve had in here. It’s a hi res media center capable of LDAC streaming as well. The screen is amazing and it’s one of the few that has a true 5v pre out which is a must for me with the rest of my sq system (I compete in sq shows)

I also ran the factory head unit and a 2nd Sony RSX-GS9 at the same time with 2 inputs prior to. Kenwood dmx1057xr also will run all factory alerts and monitoring
View attachment 357905

View attachment 357905
That's the one I wanted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros