Recommend a head unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Anyone know off the top of their head what the cop shops do to disable the rear door speakers? I thought I’d find them unplugged inside the door, but apparently they did something else.

I’m off to research the PPV/SSV section...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know off the top of their head what the cop shops do to disable the rear door speakers? I thought I’d find them unplugged inside the door, but apparently they did something else.

I’m off to research the PPV/SSV section...
from what I have read they cut the wire, I forget where though either under the dash or right around where the harness goes thru into the rear door which will be behind the big plastic trim piece between the front and rear doors.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Thanks @Doubeleive, I’ll get the wiring diagram out and start tracing the wiring I guess. Seems weird they would cut the wiring somewhere else since they’ve already been inside the rear doors to disable the locks and door handles. I want to get this sorted before I install a new HU and connect it to some compromised speaker wire.

And what’s the deal with disconnecting the speakers anyway? Didn’t these people ever hear about the fader control? And who cares if detainees hear music or not.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Doubeleive, I’ll get the wiring diagram out and start tracing the wiring I guess. Seems weird they would cut the wiring somewhere else since they’ve already been inside the rear doors to disable the locks and door handles. I want to get this sorted before I install a new HU and connect it to some compromised speaker wire.

And what’s the deal with disconnecting the speakers anyway? Didn’t these people ever hear about the fader control? And who cares if detainees hear music or not.
I've been in the back of a few police car's, it was usually "we can take a stop by the hospital if you want" instead of music being played, lol

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been in the back of a few police car's, it was usually "we can take a stop by the hospital if you want" instead of music being played, lol
Plus they want to be able to record everything you say, in case you’re drunk and admitting to stupid shit or threatening the entire police force by telling them you know where their radio systems base stations and towers are because your dads communications business services them and you’re gonna go take them off the air. That way when it’s time for a plea bargain they pull the recordings out and say “ do you remember saying this? “ Not that it’s ever happened to me or anything, just saying in case...:crazy:

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are hard core LOL.

If I ever took an unwanted ride in a cop car -speaking hypothetically- I was fortunate enough to be allowed to ride shotgun. Of course this was a kinder, gentler time. Hypothetically.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Just ordered the Pioneer DMH-4660NEX. Exceeded my planned cost, but WTH. I'm dead set on having wireless CarPlay.

Visited two reputable local car audio shops who both told me the same story. They can't get anything because of the chip shortage and they recommended if I found something on line, BUY IT. They'll be happy to assist with installation or accessories. I plan to DIY, but if I run out of time or patience they'll be there.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the Pioneer DMH-4660NEX. Exceeded my planned cost, but WTH. I'm dead set on having wireless CarPlay.

Visited two reputable local car audio shops who both told me the same story. They can't get anything because of the chip shortage and they recommended if I found something on line, BUY IT. They'll be happy to assist with installation or accessories. I plan to DIY, but if I run out of time or patience they'll be there.
You’ll love it. I have the AVH-4400NEX and it’s awesome to have wireless CarPlay.

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Interesting find on the lack of rear sound today. I already have the LR door interior off to work on restoring the locks and door handles. There’s rear audio signal all the way to the speaker. I hooked up a headphone I had laying around to the leads and I’ve got sound. Test meter on the speaker shows it’s open circuit.
Well THAT seems clear, but what’s itching my brain now is I studied the wiring schematic and there are FOUR speakers in the rear. I hadn’t known about the ones in the D pillars which are connected in parallel with the rear doors. So what’s the chances of all four rear speakers being electrically blown open circuit? Seems a bit much to believe.

I’ll post up the end of the story when I get it sorted.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score

Nice! I bet you’re excited to get going with AirPlay.

Since you’re wiring it up yourself... mind as well connect the parking brake wire to a screw on the chassis of the Pioneer so you can access settings and mirror your phone to it, etc while on the go. This method worked on my Kenwood, but not exactly sure it will work on Pioneer. You’ll definitely want to test it before finalizing the install. ;)

Anyone know if this works on Pioneer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doc52