Rear Wheel Bearing Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like I need to replace one or both of the rear axle bearings on my sons 1997 K1500. Planning on doing both while I’m at it. In looking at replacement bearings, Rock Auto lists options for bearings and repair bearings that also come with a repair sleeve. What would determine if I need just the bearing or the repair bearing? I’ve never dug into this area and want to know what to look for once I get the axle and bearing out.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axle sleeve is just like it sounds, use if bearing surface damaged or replace axle. Sleeve usually used with oversized bearing. don't mix n match.
A slide hammer a big help on bearing.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the inner and outer race of the bearings are supposed to stay firmly in place and rotate or not rotate in whichever manner they are used. if a bearing siezes the shaft will continue to spin and become damaged then a sleeve repair can be used. also possible for a failing bearing to overheat and expand enough where it doesn't grip the shaft anymore and can also damage the shaft this way. unless you have ignored sounds coming from the wheel for a while you probably dont need the bearing/sleeve kit.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Inspect the axles where the bearing rides on it/them and see if you see any pitting or galling or cracks/fissures. IMO, I would replace the axles if I saw that but there are choices to help reuse the axles. Typically, the repair bearing will reposition the bearing a little so that the bearing rides on a different place on the axle shaft and it will also include the seal that is also repositioned on the shaft. The old seal has likely worn a small groove in the axle shaft seal surface. The outer portion of the race is ever so slightly bigger to give it a good grip in the end of the axle tube. I have seen where a shadetree mechanic will use a standard seal and standard bearing and will gouge spots in the axle tube with a chisel and hammer so that the outer race grabs the tube when hammered in to place. Eventually, that outer race will spin in the axle tube but the rig will have been sold, usually, by then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094