rear main seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dojrs

Reaction score
I'm dropping my '05 tahoe at the mechanic in the next few days for the rear main seal to be replaced. Other than the rear main seal itself and the rear engine plate gasket, are there any other seals, gaskets, etc... I should order prior to its drop-off so I can pick the parts myself to help keep cost to a minimum ???

As of right now it's a LM7 5.3, .525 lift cam, ported and polished heads, 2" intake valves, trans rebuilt and put a TBSS converter in.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how they’re doing the rear main. Are they dropping the trans or pulling the engine? If they’re pulling the engine, I’d probably suggest some refreshing of components under the front cover as well (timing set, oil pump, cam retainer plate, etc.. of course depending on what was done when you did the cam, and how long ago) if dropping the trans, and leaving engine in, I’d definitely upgrade your oil diverter barbell to an aluminum piece, but otherwise, can’t think of anything off the top of my head to upgrade / swap.

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
Depends on how they’re doing the rear main. Are they dropping the trans or pulling the engine? If they’re pulling the engine, I’d probably suggest some refreshing of components under the front cover as well (timing set, oil pump, cam retainer plate, etc.. of course depending on what was done when you did the cam, and how long ago) if dropping the trans, and leaving engine in, I’d definitely upgrade your oil diverter barbell to an aluminum piece, but otherwise, can’t think of anything off the top of my head to upgrade / swap.

pulling the trans and transfer case to fix the rear main seal. the oil pump and everything else was done about 10-15K miles ago.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.saccitycorvette.com/Billet-BarBell.html

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say oil pan gasket, because the oil pan needs to be lowered to get that rear engine cover off. But then I saw that you had the oil pump replaced about 10-15k miles ago. You may be able to re-use that oil pan gasket, but I personally wouldn't because they are not very expensive. The only way I personally would re-use it, is if it's been replaced in the last 3 months or less. You know exactly when it was replaced, so I'll let you make that call.

OP
OP
D

dojrs

Reaction score
I was going to say oil pan gasket, because the oil pan needs to be lowered to get that rear engine cover off. But then I saw that you had the oil pump replaced about 10-15k miles ago. You may be able to re-use that oil pan gasket, but I personally wouldn't because they are not very expensive. The only way I personally would re-use it, is if it's been replaced in the last 3 months or less. You know exactly when it was replaced, so I'll let you make that call.

I just had the oil pickup tube, O-ring, for the life of me I can't rem the correct name of the sensor but the one on the side of oil pan, and the oil pressure sensor replaced a month ago due to the Oring being bad and couldn't keep good pressure. The mechanic who done it for me told me it's seeping minimally around the rear main seal, and since I'm able to at the moment I figured I need to go ahead and fix that since I've put so much into it already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemilioflores89