Rear main seal leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mrsteef

Mrsteef

Reaction score
Starting to lean toward the pan leaking, just came back from lunch and checked underneath and it’s coming from up higher I’m thinking

NardDog

Reaction score
Starting from the top down is cheaper, however in my experience all chevy truck motors will need a rear main at some point. I would think the price would include the pan gasket, seems like a reasonable price. See if you can haggle hom down

OP
OP
Mrsteef

Mrsteef

Reaction score
I’m going to pull the starter when I get home and check the crank position sensor just to be sure and also get a better look at that side of the pan. I already checked the oil pressure sensor on the top, it was bone dry and looked somewhat new

DA7F067B-14F7-4455-88AD-ADA608C018B9.jpeg

OP
OP
Mrsteef

Mrsteef

Reaction score
Figures it out.. it’s leaking on towards the rear both sides of the oil pan. Also at the block off plate. Removed the starter to check the crank position sensor but it’s dry. Degreased everything, dried and watched it slowly pool up here
A60E39D3-544C-450E-A1B9-9973F1F64637.jpeg 482E4427-BDA6-4CAA-B442-E340EBD8D926.jpeg

Bill Hayes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These trucks or should I say these engines, have the PCV valve in the DR side valve cover. I would check that first. Pull off the oil filler cap on the passenger side and it should be sucking while the engine is running. Check with a paper towel. If it is choo chooing like a train, the PCV valve is stopped up. Hook a hose to the valve cover and see if you can suck or blow on it. It should have a small amount of restriction. Mine was stopped up tight and was leaking at rear main and pan gasket. I changed the DR side valve cover and it stopped leaking.

OP
OP
Mrsteef

Mrsteef

Reaction score
Did the oil pan gasket today along with a new drain bolt and also the gasket for the block of plate and new oil pickup o ring. No leaks as of yet

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mrsteef

Mrsteef

Reaction score
Only hiccup was one of the long rear bolts snapped because the directions I was following for torque specs didn’t say the long bolts were a different torque... seems to be holding up though. I’ll eventually pull it again and change it out. Pan to block bolts are 18ft/lbs and the two long bolts towards the bell housing are supposed to be toruqued to 106in/lbs. Wish I knew that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700