Rear Main Oil Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on MJReynolds' experience ( https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...e-2007-tahoe-5-3l-135-000-miles.116461/page-8 ), I have decided to do my own rear main oil seal. He did not have to remove the transfer case, but I'm nervous about balancing the transmission and transfer case on a transmission jack with a jack supporting the transfer case. Also, if I get it out and find I have to remove the transfer case anyway, I might as well remove it first.

There are lots of videos on this, but they all omit important steps. I suspect part of the reason is the added time consuming process of video recording everything. Often there is no mention of fluids involved, removing all the electrical connectors from the transfer case, etc etc etc. By looking a 2-3 videos so far, I have a more complete picture, but I will try to document each phase of the process here to provide a more complete process.

Here is a general outline:
  1. Drain transmission, torque converter (if there is a plug on the converter).
  2. Drain transfer case.
  3. Remove drive shafts.
  4. Remove exhaust Y-pipe.
  5. Remove cross member for transmission mount.
  6. Remove transfer case.
  7. Remove transmission.
  8. Remove flexplate.
  9. Remove rear main seal.
Many of these steps are more complicated and time consuming than they appear. MJReynolds took about 11 hours total, but he did not remove the transfer case, or exhaust. I assume this will add a few hours to my job.

So far, the extra tools I am purchasing for this job are:
  1. transmission jack: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-100-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack/A-p8667875e . It's pretty inexpensive, but if MJReynolds was able to get it out with something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lbs-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html , on uneven ground, with hardly a bleep, I think I can do it with the tool from Princessauto.
  2. High torque impact: https://bcfasteners.com/shop/milwau...ue-impact-wrench-1-2-pin-detent-with-one-key/

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did this on my 97 tahoe with a buddy with just a floor jack but a transmission jack would have made things 100xs easier. if you pull the transmission gently trying to make sure the torque converter doesn't come off it technically doesn't have to be drained. it is an added benefit to getting a more thorough transmission fluid change tho. draining the transfer case and transmission will make seperating the 2 a cleaner less messy job.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did this on my 97 tahoe with a buddy with just a floor jack but a transmission jack would have made things 100xs easier. if you pull the transmission gently trying to make sure the torque converter doesn't come off it technically doesn't have to be drained. it is an added benefit to getting a more thorough transmission fluid change tho. draining the transfer case and transmission will make seperating the 2 a cleaner less messy job.

Not to mention the fact that the transfer case fluid is probably original!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If there is no drain plug for the torque converter then when you unbolt from the flex plate and as you look at it from the front, turn it clockwise and push back at it will settle back deeper in the bell housing. I have done this and kept it level as I moved back with no spillage. If you are afraid it might work it's way back forward and cause problems I have SEEN where a guy once used a ratchet strap and made a loop that he wrapped around the converter center snout and then ran the strap under the trans to the back and attached and then ratcheted it just to the point of tight and it stayed in there. Too much pressure could **** the converter and damage that front seal. When you are ready to reattach at the flex plate just pull and spin counter clockwise to mate them up. Personally, if it was me I would remove it and drain in the beginning.

Note: I have never done this on a 4L60E so maybe Rockola1971 has a better recommendation.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really arent saving time by pulling down the tranny and Tcase as one unit. All it does is make one very awkward assembly to balance while bringing it down. The Tcase is very heavy hanging off the rear of the tranny. Tcase can be dropped with an air ratchet in 15mins and drain its fluid. No sense in taking a chance of dropping the converter or worse it screwing up the tranny pump or its bushing. Me personally I would remove the converter before lowering the tranny all the way down and dump its fluid. Replace the front seal anyway. They are cheap. Youd feel real stupid to do all the work you are doing to have to redo it 1 week later because a $4 front seal is leaking or worse yet you walked the pump bushing forward and now its creeped further forward and is blocking the tranny fluid return which blows your front seal out. What a mess....dont do it.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really arent saving time by pulling down the tranny and Tcase as one unit. All it does is make one very awkward assembly to balance while bringing it down. The Tcase is very heavy hanging off the rear of the tranny. Tcase can be dropped with an air ratchet in 15mins and drain its fluid. No sense in taking a chance of dropping the converter or worse it screwing up the tranny pump or its bushing. Me personally I would remove the converter before lowering the tranny all the way down and dump its fluid. Replace the front seal anyway. They are cheap. Youd feel real stupid to do all the work you are doing to have to redo it 1 week later because a $4 front seal is leaking or worse yet you walked the pump bushing forward and now its creeped further forward and is blocking the tranny fluid return which blows your front seal out. What a mess....dont do it.

Yeah, I could see myself dropping the entire transmission/transfer case if I removed them together. But you say it can be dropped in 15 minutes. That's more like 2 hours for me, but it will be worth my efforts for sure.

How difficult is the front seal to remove? Is it worth it for me to get a seal remover? (about $15 Cdn)

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I could see myself dropping the entire transmission/transfer case if I removed them together. But you say it can be dropped in 15 minutes. That's more like 2 hours for me, but it will be worth my efforts for sure.

How difficult is the front seal to remove? Is it worth it for me to get a seal remover? (about $15 Cdn)
You can pop the front seal out with a flathead screwdriver. Tap the new one in with block of wood jumping back and forth on sides of seal or find something make shift. there are vids on youtube.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that looks easy enough.

Starting to collect parts. Shipping to Canada through rockauto will take a few extra days.

Bought a new creeper today. I got tired of using my 30 year old Canadian Tire creeper that would roll every direction except the one you wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans