Rear Main Oil Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out what is better, Fel-Pro or ACDelco. Normally, I go with Fel-Pro because they have made very good gaskets for everything else I've used. Normally, the Fel-Pro cost is close to the ACDelco, maybe a little less. However, the Fel-Pro cost for the rear main is MUCH cheaper. Would this be a case where ACDelco is the better gasket? Or is Fel-Pro still better even though it's a lot cheaper?

As of March 2020:
Fel-Pro rear main set (includes cover plate seal) (BS40640) $16.72
ACDelco: rear main seal (89060436) $21.79 + cover plate seal (12639249) $18.69

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One further question:
I will be replacing the oil pan gasket, oil pickup gasket, and the oil cooler blockoff plate gasket.

It appears that the gasket used for the block off plate is the oval style gasket. Is there any benefit to switching to an oil cooler? I do tow a camping trailer a few times a year.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far this is what is a list of parts I plan to order tomorrow:
  1. Engine oil pan gasket
  2. Engine oil cooler gasket
  3. Engine oil pump seal (engine oil pick up tube seal)
  4. Rear crankshaft seal (includes cover plate gasket)
  5. Torque Converter shaft seal
  6. Transmission filter and pan gasket
  7. Transmission mount (they're cheap, why not get one)
  8. Transfer case adapter gasket
Other than fluids, have I missed anything?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take a look at the design of the real seal also. i know with my 97 they made the replacement seal slightly beefier probably to take up and wear. fel pro maybe cheaper because its a thinner original design versus an updated design.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did mine I went with the ACDelco rear seal that comes pre installed in the rear cover with gaskets and everything included. It makes it easier to get installed correctly. I didn’t want to go through all that work and chance the seal not being centered perfectly causing it to leak in a month. upload_2020-3-16_7-9-41.png

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used one of these to make sure the seal is centered. (Actually I bought the billet set).

https://www.saccitycorvette.com/AlignItTools.html

They have a video on how to install the rear main plate, it's pretty good.

I also bought the billet barbell, don't know if it will make a difference but I had the trans pulled so why not.

Also in your list of things to do I did not see pulling the crossmember under the oil pan. Soak your exhaust manifold bolts in penetrating oil days before as well.

You'll need a long extension for the impact to get the bell housing bolts. Also I rerouted the transfer case vent tube which allowed me to delete the holdown on the top of the transmission bell housing. (would have been a pain to try and keep it since it is hard to reach).
You'll want to jack up the truck high to get the trans out (if you are pulling it all the way) I bought 10 ton stands from Jegs to put under the front. I replaced my trans when I did the rear main so this may not be necessary BTW.

Oh yeah mark your transmission cooler lines so you know which one goes where (inlet and return).
Put all the bolts in individual marked ziplock bags, makes it much easier on the reassembly.

If you're planning on doing the corvette servo mod now is the time so you can see what you are doing when the trans is down.

That's all I can think of, hope that helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine I went with the ACDelco rear seal that comes pre installed in the rear cover with gaskets and everything included. It makes it easier to get installed correctly. I didn’t want to go through all that work and chance the seal not being centered perfectly causing it to leak in a month. View attachment 242560

I've seen this part a few times, but it doesn't seem to be widely available. If it is, it would likely be very expensive here in Canada.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Richard,
Interesting tool there. That is the first time I've seen that method used in any video. Most seem to install the seal into the plate first, leaving the plastic insert in place. Then they attach the plate and the seal self centers. Is this a bad method?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Great time to check and do the u-joints, if needed, while the shafts are dropped. Seals where they slide back in as well. In your parts list I don't see these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog