REAR END UPGRADES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After seeing Lawrence Tolman run several low 11s and a 10 with his turbo 8.1L extended cab Silverado on a 8.6" with stock everything except a real posi instead of govloc ...
i dont think i will ever need anything sturdier
How much less weight sits on a Silverado's tires, compared to a Suburban?

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you figure out the brake lines? I have a 2006 suburban that I want to swap the AXN 9.5 into.
I did not figure it out yet. I managed to get the 6.0 swap done and was happily driving it for months, then tragedy struck. Either lost a head gasket or cracked head, or heaven forbid a cracked block. Whatever the case, I was loosing coolant and it's been parked for months now in total disgust. Everything was new in the 6.0 and it was assembled by a well regarded builder out here in Socal. So the rear axle continues to sit in the shop until after the engine is pulled back out and fixed again. So bummed with the whole situation, but I'm not abandoning the thing entirely...just gotta get back to it.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not figure it out yet. I managed to get the 6.0 swap done and was happily driving it for months, then tragedy struck. Either lost a head gasket or cracked head, or heaven forbid a cracked block. Whatever the case, I was loosing coolant and it's been parked for months now in total disgust. Everything was new in the 6.0 and it was assembled by a well regarded builder out here in Socal. So the rear axle continues to sit in the shop until after the engine is pulled back out and fixed again. So bummed with the whole situation, but I'm not abandoning the thing entirely...just gotta get back to it.
Did it not have any warranty from the builder?

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much less weight sits on a Silverado's tires, compared to a Suburban?
Probably a fair amount more.... but traction bars and slicks combined with a stall converter and 1100+ lb ft of torque, is brutally harder on a axle assembly than even 900 extra pounds and a stock engine. The Gov-loc is the downfall of the GM 8.5/8.6 rearends.
I've built too many square bodies ( K5, K10 and Burb) with 10 bolts that never hurt and axle. Big block, small block, and yes even a 6.2 Detroit on a propane and nitrous mix and never hurt an 8.5....on reasonable size tires. Did have a buddy spin a one leg so hard it galled..galded? Stuck the spider gears to the carrier and was an occasional posi after that. But we are talking 3rd gear peg leg burnout till the cords were showing.
Hell Stapleton42 did a 8.5 with a Yukon diff in his turbo Yukon xl and didn't hurt it.
This was the big problem in my S-Blazer days, the Zr2 guys were grenading 8.5s with the 4.3 when wheeling. Not because of power, but because of the weak carriers.

boarder421

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From what I have seen so far the JL4 code is for active brake controll and will be the difference between separate lines supplying the rear brakes and the wheel sensors or just a single supply line and no wheel sensors. My 06 has the 2 supply lines and sensors. I'm thinking the connectors for the sensors will fit, or I can splice the old connector, and I will just have to do the yoke.

The AXN axle I'm looking at is in another state, so I'm asking the yard for some pics and hoping it's an easy swap.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it not have any warranty from the builder?
Yes it does have warranty. But I did the removal and installation myself, the engine builder did not. So it's on me to remove it and get the long block back to him for servicing. I've been extremely short on time lately so it's in hover craft holding pattern unfortunately. I'm hoping to get started on it before month's end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hpark1975