Rear end issue /after axle shaft replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barefootmechanic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seeing if I can get some help here.

2007 Chevy Tahoe 5.3LS
Rwd
Issue: Rear end/ Differential

Have a clunking noise when moving through uneven land. Or sometime turning slow. I have located the issue but don’t know what’s causing it. Let me explain…..

I replaced the axle shaft on the left side. The 2 smaller gears came out when I foolish turned the axle wiggling it out. Anyways got that’s back in sync perfectly. Put the pin back on our thread lock on the small bolt to secure it.

When I put the shaft back in I use a small flat head to pick it up the. Put the c-clip in pulled on the hub to put it back in place then put the pin through the gears etc. put rtv on gasket secured and filled till ran out then turned axle and put a little more. I used 80-90w.

When I am driving on paved roads and the entry’s to where I’m going in town don’t have dips I’m all good

The movement is in and out.
Even when it’s still I can push on the tire/ both sides and you will here clinking. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
B

barefootmechanic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seeing if I can get some help here.

2007 Chevy Tahoe 5.3LS
Rwd
Issue: Rear end/ Differential

Have a clunking noise when moving through uneven land. Or sometime turning slow. I have located the issue but don’t know what’s causing it. Let me explain…..

I replaced the axle shaft on the left side. The 2 smaller gears came out when I foolish turned the axle wiggling it out. Anyways got that’s back in sync perfectly. Put the pin back on our thread lock on the small bolt to secure it.

When I put the shaft back in I use a small flat head to pick it up the. Put the c-clip in pulled on the hub to put it back in place then put the pin through the gears etc. put rtv on gasket secured and filled till ran out then turned axle and put a little more. I used 80-90w.

When I am driving on paved roads and the entry’s to where I’m going in town don’t have dips I’m all good

The movement is in and out.
Even when it’s still I can push on the tire/ both sides and you will here clinking. Thanks in advance.
Reason replaced is shaft was bent. Slightly passed the shiny part going past the bearings. Close inspection to bearings and seal all seem okay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh