Rear Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's crazy. Looks to me like they ****** up. Good thing you have the AAA card for the tow, that would have been expensive.

OP
OP
thehoe92

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
I know what you mean Sean.. I just want something that isn't such a project like my tahoe is becoming

I really need to get my suspension dialed in

but Geico (my insurance) offered a 20 mile tow and $7 a mile after that
I live 114 miles from Vista Point
Triple A let us use the 100 mile tow and I tipped the tow truck driver $40

they tried using a wrecker though and I was like hell no get a flatbed over here now

stranded out by the golden gate bridge for 5 hours without having anything to eat all day I was pissed

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

oh and might I add that this similar incident (differential wise) happened to clean95 and he had his work done at the same shop

they didn't torque one of the bolts down enough or put loc-tite on it or something because one of his bolts backed out and smashed the cover

here's his
IMG_8941.jpg

IMG_8938.jpg

IMG_8945.jpg

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Damn that sucks dude they charged you enough that the work should have been quality. I think it is in their best interest to fix your truck immediately, try to have them install the front gears for free as it is the least they can do after blowing up your 10 bolt. Shit happens but it seems like this shop has a bad track record.

OP
OP
thehoe92

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
I would just be happy with getting the rear end situated but if it comes down to it I'll be demanding a front diff rebuild as well
4wd 4.56 gears sounds nice

OP
OP
thehoe92

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
according to the shop..
I never replaced the oil causing everything to heat up and the bearings let go and a bolt sheared off causing the ring gear to hit the cover and crack

therefore because it was lubrication failure they won't warranty it and I now have to pay $600 more to get it fixed again

I'm beyond pissed with this shop.. there warranty means nothing
I'm sorry but if I pay $1800 I should have them stand by there warranty or the damn thing should have never broken

but he blames it on my "setup"
my rims and tires are too heavy and I have to drive my half ton full sized suv like a grandma now that I have 26's

who here offroads in there tahoe with tires larger or equal to 33"?

he also said I abused the diff and was trying to do burnouts because the cross shaft? had scoring marks on it

I forgot that when you offroad in mud your tires do slip

does that mean I can't do anything with my differential except drive and even at that drive like a grandma?

so pissed!!!!!! :emotions122:

someone help me out here I don't know what to do and I've been without my hoe for 3 weeks now :(

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Tell him that your attorney will be contacting them unless a resolution is provided in a timely manner. I've done 100s of gear jobs on 10 bolt and while they do fail with heavy wheel and tire combos your setup should RELIEVE stress from the rear end by running a numerically higher gearset.

The fact that they are blaming the failure on "cross shaft scoring" is ******* ridiculous. Have them warranty the gears or suggest the alternative: litigation and major expenses drawn out over a long period of time. Don't let them bully you into meeting them halfway, they already have a shit track record with working on 10bolts and it really isn't that difficult of an axle to setup.

PM me if you like and I'll give you my number if they continue this nonsense. I ******* hate shops that do this shit as I've had to fix countless vehicles that had poor workmanship performed upon them over the 5 years that I've been at my current shop. Don't worry homie, you'll have you truck back and running soon enough, just be patient and everything will work itself out for you :cheers:

OP
OP
thehoe92

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
everyone is telling me to sue them because they won't stand by their warranty

the biggest part of this whole thing is the fact that we have to trust them.
he could have taken the cover off and it could have completely been their fault but since I wasn't there to see it he could tell me all sorts of things and I have to believe him

what gets me is that he blames me but will eat the labor
that tells me he feels guilty for the work he did so he is trying to make it right without losing money

shady business if you ask me or anyone for that matter

I'm getting it towed home tomorrow and then I will really start sorting this mess out

I'm so glad I can count on my parents to take me to work because I would be in a whole other shit storm

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert on diffs, but I'm calling BS on the shop all day. How many Tahoes leave the factory only to never have their diffs serviced and not blow up? If not servicing the diff was actually the cause that diff oil better look like paste IMO and the ring/pinion should show signs of the diff seizing and further more at least one bearing would have to have failed in order for it to "walk" out like it did. I'd say someone didn't torque the bolts down properly and one backed out. Once load was put on it snapped and flies into the diff cover like the pic or the entire diff shifts and the entire ring gear slides into the diff cover. They'd have to show me some seized bearings or something. I would definitely put the ball back in their court to prove without a doubt you caused the failure which I doubt is the case.

OP
OP
thehoe92

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
the pictures above are what happened to clean95 when he got his work done at the same shop.. he on the other hand out of the act of god got his replaced under warranty (could it be that he is quite a bit older and doesn't look like he would **** around compared to me who the shop thinks is some punk kid who doesn't know the difference between a spider gear and a ring gear?)

either way from what they told me (which I have to believe since I wasn't there when they took it apart) everything got too hot and the bearing let go which caused the bolt to shear off at the head causing the ring gear to slip and hit the cover of the differential

my dad was trying to tell them that oil is oil.. no matter if its black or not if its full of gear oil then it should be lubricating

I would understand if I was trying to do a burnout and it popped I would eat my words and say yes this is my fault I will pay to fix it but I was ****** driving on the golden gate bridge hit one bump in the road and my rear end BLEW up

how could it have got hot driving in 70º weather for less than an hour without towing/hauling under normal driving circumstances?

the owner of the shop said that he has been doing differentials for 20 years so he would know what he is doing and that any sign of an installer defect he would stand up for me and say it is his fault and that my diff wouldn't have lasted more than 100 miles if it was in fact installer defect

clean95 is going to come with me tomorrow to pick up the hoe and he'll have a nice word with them ;)
I'm done dealing with them

I have 2 direct neighbors that both work for different les schwabs in the area and they direct their customers to jaws gear and axle when things go wrong but after what I told them today they were in complete shock and one of the guys got my number down and is going to make some calls tomorrow and try and make everything right so I'm not paying anything and I have a working differential

OP
OP
thehoe92

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
so I woke up this morning to a voicemail from the shop
the owner said that he had a long discussion on the phone with the manufacturer and even though its not there place to do anything they said they were going to go ahead and help me out anyways.

the owner states that since he has got them so much business and they have been good partners that the manufacturer would help out his customer this one time

so overall they will be sending me new bearings and seals along with new ring gears and he will find another cover in his shop to use and the oil is on them

on one condition.. that I bring my tahoe back to them at 500 miles so they can replace the oil at a cost of $65.. just so they can be sure that if next time something happens then they will be happy to warranty it knowing that the oil was changed properly

the parts have shipped and they will be at the shop on Monday and I will have my hoe back Monday afternoon free of charge :)

even though I didn't have to get your number Max I appreciate your support and assuring me that the shop is a bunch of morons!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebull12