Rear Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
So Friday night I made the dumb mistake of trying to do a burnout and long story short I heard a loud POP mid way through
try to go forward and it was doing this weird limp almost like there was a flat spot on the tire.. then when I tried turning it would skid the passenger side tire and the other one had trouble even rotating
if I made a sharp enough turn it popped REALLY loud
bottom line everyone was saying I was basically up a creek without a paddle and it was going to go on my way home so just drive slow.. on the way home it never made the noise again and never had the symptoms granted I was and have been taking it very easy and not turning nearly as much as I could

anyways.. I know I need a new diff.. is it as simple as ring and pinion and I'm good to go or what else do I need

also since I have to replace it now is the time to lower the gear ration :D
thinking 4.56 with my 295/35/24's
I've always wanted a ton of low end power on command but am I pushing it?

besides installation is this what I need?
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=5691

should I go with 4.30 or even 4.11?

whats your opinion and why?
:driver:

MUDHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what ive heard a 410 would be good w/ 33s thats what a shop around here told me for mine

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what ive heard a 410 would be good w/ 33s thats what a shop around here told me for mine

+1

4.56:1 is really steep
with 33" tires, you'd probably be doing (at least) 2300rpm at 70mph in overdrive
4.11 = 2050 rpm @ 70
4.30 = 2150 rpm @ 70

you're not gonna know what all is broken till you get in there,
hopefully you just sheered a tooth off the ring (so a ring and pinion set is all you need)
you may have ****** up an axle or even your limmited slip.

good luck

BTW,
is your truck 2wd?
(if it's 4wd, you will need to do the front ratio also)

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

read this:
http://www.ringpinion.com/ContentFr...alInfo//Before_You_Call_For_Rearend_Parts.inc

you're probably gonna need a "shim kit"
(or some sort of "install kit") they will tell you when you call (if you ask)
http://www.ringpinion.com/ContentFr...onKits//What_Does_'Complete'_Really_Mean~.inc

here's a list of instilation kits:
http://www.ringpinion.com/PartsList...eID=3&ModelID=340&Side=Rear&DiffID=45&CatID=6

Last edited:
OP
OP
thehoe92

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
its 4wd so even if I don't engage 4wd I'll still need to do the front diff too?
I don't do a lot of freeway driving so I'm not worried about 70mph
what should I get if my limited slip is messed up?
I don't know a lot about the truetrac and eaton posi's and what not

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if u have a bad ring gear or teeth missing then u would hear noises while drive and it would not last long since it still drives smooth straight that tells me that ur limited slip is prolly shot and they are not cheap to get done,

as far as changing the ratio, it would be best to do both at the same time. and the advantage to switching also has its ups and downs.

i would just replace whats broken, i kno a full rebuild (ring and pinnion and limited slip) and install would run you over a grand
and having a shop do it is a good idea then its covered for when/if it breaks again

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

or u can just trade it in for that BMW

OP
OP
thehoe92

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
****!!! a grand?! I don't have that kind of money to just throw around to fix the diff..
guess my hoe will be on a limp for a while

OP
OP
thehoe92

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
nah my buddy's dad is a mechanic and he said he would check it out for me.. he said it sounds like something that could be fixed

and the sucky part is driving home tonight I heard the front diff making a weird noise so I guess I will be replacing the whole thing

MUDHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i was 17 i did alota stupid shit like you but now 20 i still do some but you gota learn when to take it easy i had a 99 2dr tahoe and i beat the shit outa it i probably had $3k in the drivetrain that i ****** up. bigger wider tires are hard to turn over

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SayWhen