Rear diff cover drain plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

This might be a dumb question. Do they sell rear differential covers with drain plugs. Just trying to find a solution where i dont have to take the cover off everytime and can drain it like an oil change? If not is there a reason why?

Thanks everyone

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do, they cost about 150 for a really nice one. I would get one with the oem geometry instead of the squared ones. That way the oil is slinged the way it was engineered and all pinion bearings are properly lubed the same, instead of cavitation forming like non stock geometry ones do.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
^^^^^

Pay attention to the tooling!!

iirc earlier NBS tahoes had a drain plug tapped into the diff housing. You might be able to drill/tap one in yourself if you're so inclined.

BUT

After doing my fair share of diff services, I've learned to love removing the cover. Well... love is a strong word. But it gives you the chance to inspect the gearset, observe if there's any oil breakdown leaving buildup on your covers, and you can clean the magnet off. None of which you get with a drain and fill via plug.

IMO, it's more beneficial to remove the cover. Really not a big deal to do every couple years. I do mine every 50k. If you're like me and fussing with paper gaskets and/or RTV really isn't your thing, you can pick up rubber gaskets. Once you get everything cleaned, it's toss on and go for all future services. You can also get a really nice one from lubelocker that's reusable if you plan to take it on/off regularly.

OP
OP
L

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your guys input. I finally got a garage and starting to do more of this stuff myself. Since I am saving money on labor I also try to find the best route or product even if its a bit more, but what you said makes alot of sense SnowDrifter. Since it is not somthing that needs to be changed often might just suck it up, and get under there.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the lubelocker gasket. Got one for my first diff change after hating how the stock paper gasket peeled in layers. I told myself I wasn't about to do that again; $25 very well spent.

Z28TWITCH

Reaction score
My 01 has a drain plug in the bottom of the housing...I still remove the cover to fully clean and inspect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE